What is best for Toothache??

Children's ibuprofen syrup, washed around your mouth and allowed to sit around the sore tooth for a few minutes before swallowing, followed by some oil of cloves.

You start absorbing the ibuprofen through the skin into the tissues if you can hold it in your mouth for as long as possible before swallowing it, like the gel you can apply to the skin near an injury.

4 Co-Codamol, if you're an adult it's perfectly safe.

I wouldn't recommend taking 2g of paracetomol very often though, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that you should go over the 4g of paracetomol in a 24 hour period. It is possible that a very small paracetomol overdose can be fatal.

Another oil of cloves fan here ... don't understand why it works though. (I suppose I could always Google if I was interested ... if it works, it works though). Any chemist. :thumbsup:

(Blast! ... I'm gonna have to Google now!) :mad:

Unless you have undiagnosed kidney and liver problems, or are very low body weight, or any of the other things that increase paracetamol toxicity risks of course.

And as JFKvNixon says, it's really not a healthy thing to do, especially when you can take a safe level of co-codamols and take a NSAID alongside it (as long as there's no reason why you can't take the NSAID).

A word of warning!

If the Tooth is bad..IE: has a hole that needs filling or extracting... Oil of Cloves usually does the trick. However, sometimes the pain is caused by a problem at root/nerve level, like an infection under the gum. If this is the case, using oil of cloves will make you want to reach for the nearest hammer and smash your own face in as the oil reacts very badly when it comes into contact with the affected area... much like pouring petrol on a fire!

Unless you know for certain that its just a bad tooth that needs filling or extracting, i would recommend a strong painkiller for the time being and get to the dentists pronto. Even if the pain goes away, unless it is seen to by a Dentist - it will come back at some point.

It's the most dangerous drug that you can buy over the counter without a prescription, if you exceed the daily dosage.

It is a combination of codeine and paracetamol. Codeine has little or no pain relieving properties at all - but it boosts the pain relieving property of paracetamol, which is why they use it in combination.

Codeine can cause severe constipation.

As long as you're aware of these drawbacks then go ahead.

Personally, if I was in a lot of pain I'd go straight down to the Charles Clifford dental hospital and have the tooth extracted rather than dose up on liver-rotting paracetamol.

Archived