Freshest fish in Sheffield?

A mobile fishmonger from Grimsby parks at the shops in Fulwood on Wednesday and Friday mornings for a couple of hours. I've had fish off him a few times and it's been superb.

I would imagine thats as fresh as you're going to get around here, as he'll more than likely sell up through the day.

Because it is days old after leaving the dockside. It has a 70 mile journey from Grimsby. The stall holders in the Castle Fish Market, don't throw it all away at the end of the days trading, its put in ice and brought out the next day. A proper fishmonger doesn't carry a lot of stock as its all sold on the day. Supermarket fish always looks dry and the fishes eyes aren't bright, thats another sign that its old. I'd always buy frozen fish if buying around these parts. At least you know its fresh when its frozen.

rubbish!

having used many different places and been in many markets inc whitby and scarborough dockside with an ex who lived there i know how they smell and castle market smell is nothing to do with the fish

it is pretty fresh as what you can buy depends on what is caught they do not always have it for sale etc and the other proactices you talk of is just you guessing and stirring up poo. i know some of these people from talking to them and shoppin n they are open and honest, its not THE freshest you can get no, but it IS fresher than you find from your supermarket or local fish monger (what few still exist)

Most stuff like cod is frozen on ship because it's no economical or possible to catch and return them fresh within a decent time frame.

Costs lots of money to run a boat so they have to stay out for a few days to return home with enough fish to cover all costs and make some money.

I've always found the trout from castle market to be excellent and very fresh.

Because it is days old after leaving the dockside. It has a 70 mile journey from Grimsby. The stall holders in the Castle Fish Market, don't throw it all away at the end of the days trading, its put in ice and brought out the next day. A proper fishmonger doesn't carry a lot of stock as its all sold on the day. Supermarket fish always looks dry and the fishes eyes aren't bright, thats another sign that its old. I'd always buy frozen fish if buying around these parts. At least you know its fresh when its frozen.

The smell in the market is down to the gents toilets which are disgusting-the traders have their own WCs which says it all,and they have soft toilet paper and a lady attendant.

Freshest fish in Sheffield is in my fridge . Caught by myself yesterday just going to have a large piece of cod for tea yum yum.

How much does a days fishing by boat cost these days , in the seventies lots of the lads used to go and sell the fish they caught to finance the trip .

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 19:19 ----------

The smell in the market is down to the gents toilets which are disgusting-the traders have their own WCs which says it all,and they have soft toilet paper and a lady attendant.

What service does the attendant provide?

How much does a days fishing by boat cost these days , in the seventies lots of the lads used to go and sell the fish they caught to finance the trip .

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 19:19 ----------

What service does the attendant provide?

Sixty pound for the day all tackle & bait provided

Archived