Would this be tolerated in UK

Works for me. Try this.

http://gawker.com/5981377/hatchet+wielding-hitchhiker-gives-insane-interview-after-saving-woman-from-bear+hugging-jesus

In the UK I imagine he would be taken in for questioning and have his hatchet confiscated before being released.

jb

Depends,if he uses it for camping eg collecting fire wood, then it can not be classed as an offensive weapon.

Surely if he actually used it as a weapon it could not possibly be classified otherwise?

I think there would be two separate issues. Did he have a reasonable explanation for having the item about his person and was it reasonable for him to use it in the way he did under the circumstances. The article seems to suggest the guy attacking the man he'd run over was considerably bigger than the chap who stopped him so from the info available his actions seem reasonable. If he's a drifter then he may well use it for chopping firewood so would probably also have a reasonable explanation for having it on him.

Archived