Job Center dress code.

how you look doesnt affect your chances at all, yes if you wear a suit it might give them the impression youre keen

BUT

the job centre is the first port of call, normally they only show you jobs, see what youve been doing to find work, might phone up to organise an interview, or give you a form to fill in to apply........or arrange a course or whatever for you to go on

all none formal tasks

they DONT liase with employers and tell them dont take on this person cos theyre a scruff

I'm not remotely suggesting they would tell employers not to take a person on, however if they might phone up to organise an interview then being able to honestly say they're always smartly dressed when they come in is surely a positive?

Tough job market, people need to stand out. Dressing smartly at all stages of all job related interaction is one easy way of doing it.

I'm not remotely suggesting they would tell employers not to take a person on, however if they might phone up to organise an interview then being able to honestly say they're always smartly dressed when they come in is surely a positive?

Tough job market, people need to stand out. Dressing smartly at all stages of all job related interaction is one easy way of doing it.

You really do spout some crap. Employers are not interested in what people wear when they go and sign on. They're interested in experience, skills, education levels, qualifications, etc. If they judge someone on their clothing it will be at the job interview. Most people who find work won't find it through the jobcentre anyway but through agencies, adverts, word of mouth, etc.

my experience is they dont go into detail with the employer about candidates, they phone up, they give name and sometimes an age, and arrange a day and time

then its up to the candidate to turn up, suitably dressed on time and impress

my experience is they dont go into detail with the employer about candidates, they phone up, they give name and sometimes an age, and arrange a day and time

then its up to the candidate to turn up, suitably dressed on time and impress

My experience was that they did. I dressed smartly. Maybe that was a factor in the different experience?

I take it you're of the view that jobseekers turning up to "sign on" looking scruffy is really helping their chances of finding work then?

I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever for a visit to the job centre. Admittedly it's been 20 years since I was last in one so I don't know if the staff are any more deserving of a show of respect than they used to be.

I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever for a visit to the job centre. Admittedly it's been 20 years since I was last in one so I don't know if the staff are any more deserving of a show of respect than they used to be.

What about Self Respect though. I won't even pop to the shops without my lippy and decently dressed, much less go for an introduction to a possible employer.

Archived