Job Center dress code.

Is it really just "signing on?"......In the past when I've signed on it was a case of signing to say you've been looking, seeing what was on offer at that time and checking it out. By going dressed as if you were going for an interview, you would be prepared if they sent you for an interview there and then.

Is it really just "signing on?"......In the past when I've signed on it was a case of signing to say you've been looking, seeing what was on offer at that time and checking it out. By going dressed as if you were going for an interview, you would be prepared if they sent you for an interview there and then.

The chances of them sending you there and then for an interview are pretty remote. I've never ever heard of it happening to anyone...ever!!...Of course I may be wrong!

The chances of them sending you there and then for an interview are pretty remote. I've never ever heard of it happening to anyone...ever!!...Of course I may be wrong!

High can't be leaf yew cud heifer bee wring Derrick:D

Well you have now cos it once happened to me....the jc phoned someone up that was looking for someone, the manager said he was going on holiday but if I could get up now, he could see me.......I went and got the job. OK this was a few years ago but........

Well you have now cos it once happened to me....the jc phoned someone up that was looking for someone, the manager said he was going on holiday but if I could get up now, he could see me.......I went and got the job. OK this was a few years ago but........

Ah!...Ok Joanl...I'll hold my hands up..I'm wrong...but having said that, it's gotta be a rarity, especially in todays economic climate.

Joan, it used to be like that. The reason I didn't sign on when I was a young mum was that the unemployment office did find jobs for people, who were expected to take them or lose benefits. They would ring companies and send people for interviews there and then. But that hasn't been the case for a long time.

Nowadays, it appears to be mainly a tracking exercise. When I was made redundant a few years ago, and again after retirement, I got all my interviews and jobs myself. I wasn't claiming, but I did go into the Job Centre in Queen Street a few times to have a look. I didn't enjoy the experience, the atmosphere was pretty depressing.

I think its important to remember, if someone hasn't got a proper home, or no money for clothes, then its understandable that they might not present the best image. I'd like to think that some of the vast amounts of money being paid to companies like A4e could go to helping the most disadvantaged with some of the basics before they move on to writing CVs. :roll:

It happened to a mate of mine;unfortunately the interview was upstairs and to compound his misery he ended up with a job,interviewing job seekers.They thought he would have empathetic qualities to which he took offence.

What do you suggest? people have to be told what to wear so they can get their 50 quid a week now?

What does it matter what they wear for Gods sake, it's up to them what the hell they wear and nobody should have any right what so ever to dictate to them what they should or should not be wearing.

These people are unemployed, not toys for the to the working class.

This is so true, an example of this is lets say a couple who have three children where one of the parents work, and earns around 14,000 a year recieve more benefits than a single person who signs on and lives with their parents.

but neither member of the working family has to go down the job centre, yet they get more benefits.

What a stupid thing to say, of course they will get more they have a house/partner and 3 children to look after, where as a kid living at home with their parents and signing on has nothing to payout for

Archived