Job Center dress code.

I agree...why on earth would you wear a suit to go and sign on? :huh:

My experience of jobcentres, although limited, is that I've never found a single job suitable in there, which I've subsequently had an interview for and got the job. I've always found jobs by other means. It's ridiculous to assert that you might have to dress smartly to sign on!

Indeed, why would you wear a suit for anything other than working in a bank, accountancy or selling encyclopedia's door to door? a suit to me says convention, doesn't think outside the box, pencil pusher. Unless it's a really well cut suit with detailing, accessorized etc. then I'd think this person is cool, has an identity and thinks for themselves.

It's a fine line between looking like a tool and looking like you mean Business imho.

I'm purely going on my own thankfully brief experience many moons ago (two weeks and two visits), but being smartly attired creates a positive impression, shows you're actually there to find work and not just "sign on" and seemed to get the best out of the person who has been assigned to help you find work.

What planet are you on, they aren't interviewing people for jobs in there they are just form filling so people get their benefits :)

What planet are you on, they aren't interviewing people for jobs in there they are just form filling so people get their benefits :)

I wasn't suggesting they were interviewing people, however they seem to provide a range of services over and above "signing on" to help people to find work or start a business - https://www.gov.uk/moving-from-benefits-to-work/overview

I wasn't suggesting they were interviewing people, however they seem to provide a range of services over and above "signing on" to help people to find work or start a business - https://www.gov.uk/moving-from-benefits-to-work/overview

True, but remember people going to the jobcentre are generally poor. Asking them to buy a suit if they don't own one is a bit much.

As I said earlier in the thread, if they don't own any suits then a shirt and tie for under a fiver can still look smart.

Or it could just look like a cheap shirt and tie.:hihi:

It reminds me of the old days, getting into nightclubs, you could be wearing the best trainers and top and not get in.

But if you went down asda and got a 5 pound acrylic black shirt and the cheapest shiny shoes you can find, that was OK!

Archived