Supply your own parts yes/no

Have been following a recent thread about garages fitting parts they have not sourced.This was an interesting topic but the discussion was spoiled by name calling as usuall on here.

Something to consider, about six months ago a garage fitted a part sourced on line, the part came with a twelve month warranty,so far so good.

Then the problems start, the part failed,the supplier of the part does not respond to any communication and the site the seller sells on are not able to offer help after forty five days of the sale.

If the garage sourced the part the customer would expect the garage to replace the part and stand the labour charge.

If the customer sourced the part the garage would expect the customer to supply another part and pay the labour charge to fit it.

So if you need a high labour charge part fitted clutch, gearbox etc it pays to let the garage have a bit of profit on the parts in exchange for no labour charge should the part fail.

Haven't followed the other thread but agree with what you are saying.

I needed a high priced part and labour intensive part fitting a couple of years ago.

Googled the part and found a reconditioned unit at a reasonable price.

Then ( before contacting the supplier ) spoke to a couple of garages.

One garage googled whilst I was there...came up with a price £50 dearer for the part from the same supplier.

Full guarantee for twelve months.....

I told him the job was his.

He was now the supplier and fitter......worth the extra 50 quid should ow't go wrong.

I needed a high priced part and labour intensive part fitting a couple of years ago.

One garage googled whilst I was there...came up with a price £50 dearer for the part from the same supplier.

He was now the supplier and fitter......worth the extra 50 quid should ow't go wrong.

Not all garages will refit for no labour charge as they say the parts warranty only covers a replacement part so unless the part supplying garage gives a written letter stating any replacement for a part supplied will include free labour it I will supply my own parts.

I had a couple of situations where the garage pointed out that its like working for free and that they supplied the part to make it easier for me and it is not their fault the part failed.

I wonder what the legal position is of both scenarios

i think the garage guarantees their work and the supplier guarantees their product.

So if the problem re-occurs due to improper installation then the garage is at fault, if the product fails then the manufacturer is at fault and not the garage.

The garage cannot guarantee a part they have not produced, it's simply not possible to predict if something will fail in 12 months.

i think the garage guarantees their work and the supplier guarantees their product.

So if the problem re-occurs due to improper installation then the garage is at fault, if the product fails then the manufacturer is at fault and not the garage.

The garage cannot guarantee a part they have not produced, it's simply not possible to predict if something will fail in 12 months.

So the garage will charge again for first of all removing the faulty part and then for fitting the replacement...unless the cost of the part is hugely different to what the garage will supply it for I don't think it makes sense to supply your own stuff..

Traders supplied by motor factors do not usually get labour fees reimbursed for replacing faulty parts under warranty.A customer buying from a shop has more rights than a trader buying from a factor.

They've been using the wrong motor factors then. The big names usually do reimburse labour on a warranty claim, although they tend to put a cap on the labour rate.

Another problem which arises when customers supply their own parts is when the vehicle has been stripped to the level at which the part is ready to be replaced and they discover the part is wrong. The garage is then left with a (sometimes non-movable) car taking up space until the customer supplies the correct part (hopefully not from online).

I had an argument with a customer once, they brought a Vauxhall Corsa in that had a faulty clutch and gearbox, they supplied the new clutch which was a good quality one and a gearbox from a scrap yard that I went and picked up for them,the gearbox appeared to be OK on inspection but when I fitted it it was worse than the one I took out,I asked the customer to get back in touch with the scrap yard to see what they could do they said fine just bring it back and we will give you another one for it,I said to the customer that's fine but its me that is out of pocket as I am now going to have to take it out and do it all over again, what about a few quid for the extra work,the reply was you checked it out when you picked it up you are responsible for it even though they payed for it I still had to re do it for nothing,the car was repaired and the customer payed me for the work that I did, I thought that was the end of it,about ten moths or so later they phoned me again one day saying the clutch has gone again what are you going to do about it,I said you will have to get back to the people who you bought the clutch off and see what they can do for you,I went to the customers house to have a look at the car to check it out to see if the clutch had actually gone,the car was sat in the front yard and I noticed L plates on the car apparently they had been using it to take their daughters for driving lessons and I recon that would probably be the reason why the clutch had gone,same thing again the firm were the clutch came from said bring it back and we will have a look at it,this time I said if you want me to take the gearbox out again you will have to pay me I am not doing that for nothing again,they did not seem very keen on paying me so I walked off,they kept sending me silly letters for weeks saying this and that threatening to take me to court, I never heard any thing from them after a time so I think they must have got someone else to do it.

If the part you supplied has failed, its not unreasonable for the garage to charge you extra labour. Its down to you to chase that back with the supplier.

But if the garage obtained the part which failed, you don't have any hassle because its up to them to claim back the labour costs from their supplier.

You have to weigh up the costs and the part in question. If it were a clutch I wouldn't waste my time trying to source it cheaper myself. The garage should be able to buy the part at trade prices, you're buying at retail, so even with their markup should be around the same.

Archived