Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Funny thing that, some people on here would see that as a rational way of debating

I have spotted your flaw ;)

I was always under the impression that a debate was taking two opposing view points and sort of, well thrashing them out using reason and logic.

But Mr Smith doesn't belong in either camp you see, he is neither for or against gay marriage, thus he is exempt from the debate, he's just here as a sort of, facilitator if you like, albeit one who has consistantly argued against those in favour of gay marriage (you know, the bullies, bigots, those kind of folks), but is not actually on any side, and thus this is probably why he hasn't given the afore mentioned straight answer, it's all so clear, it was me all along who was wrong for asking someone with no opinion on the subject his opinion on the subject.

Stupid me :huh:

Simply acknowledging how things have been for a long time is not a rational argument. There is no logic or reasoning in it.

Some members of the clergy do not share those views,and that will apply to other demoninations and their leaders too.

Whether we agree with them or not, the goverment has chosen to respect their position,and thats why they are not going to be forced to perform same sex weddings if they choose not to.

Some members of the clergy do not share those views,and that will apply to other demoninations and their leaders too.

Whether we agree with them or not, the goverment has chosen to respect their position,and thats why they are not going to be forced to perform same sex weddings if they choose not to.

Nobody has suggested they should be forced to perform same sex marriage, quite the opposite. It was never up for consideration in the first place, as far as I'm aware.

I would be interested to hear how such people explain the logic of such an argument (things staying how they are because that's the way they already are/have been)

I have spotted your flaw ;)

I was always under the impression that a debate was taking two opposing view points and sort of, well thrashing them out using reason and logic.

But Mr Smith doesn't belong in either camp you see, he is neither for or against gay marriage, thus he is exempt from the debate, he's just here as a sort of, facilitator if you like, albeit one who has consistantly argued against those in favour of gay marriage (you know, the bullies, bigots, those kind of folks), but is not actually on any side, and thus this is probably why he hasn't given the afore mentioned straight answer, it's all so clear, it was me all along who was wrong for asking someone with no opinion on the subject his opinion on the subject.

Stupid me :huh:

Made me think of this, anyone remember it? -

Slow down, you move too fast. Solomon's here. All part of the job. What's going on?

Nobody has suggested they should be forced to perform same sex marriage, quite the opposite. It was never up for consideration in the first place, as far as I'm aware.

I would be interested to hear how such people explain the logic of such an argument (things staying how they are because that's the way they already are/have been)

I have heard it mentioned that a considerable number of black christians are against gay marriage,including the Archbishop of York i think.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this post

Diversity! and obvously some have traditional views and don't equate the opposition to gay marriage with discrimination.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 00:03 ----------

Here is a brief mention of how church leaders view the topic.

http://www.churchofengland.org/our-views/marriage,-family-and-sexuality-issues/same-sex-marriage.aspx

That’s fine and it’s the reason there is little point explaining again and again why neither side has convinced me that they are right whilst the other side is wrong, we disagree and its apparent we will never agree no matter how many times I say the same thing. Telling me I’m irrational, or telling an opponent of gay marriage they are homophobic bigots won’t change their opinions. It might stop them continuing the discussion though.

That’s fine and it’s the reason there is little point explaining again and again why neither side has convinced me that they are right whilst the other side is wrong, we disagree and its apparent we will never agree no matter how many times I say the same thing. Telling me I’m irrational, or telling an opponent of gay marriage they are homophobic bigots won’t change their opinions. It might stop them continuing the discussion though.

If that's because they do not have any reasoned or rational reason to prevent gays marrying - as the evidence on this thread shows fairly comprehensively, then that's fair enough.

You (apparently) believe that antis have some good points, but can't say what any of them are. Odd that.

Archived