Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Nope, domestic abuse was a Christian tradition long before Islam even existed.

It was only in the last half-century or so that marital rape was made illegal (not just in the UK but pretty much everywhere),

So, for over 95% of the existence of Christianity, rape has been a part of traditional Christian marriage.

Strange conclusion to draw!

Not really, Jimmy is not suggesting that it was compulsory, or even widely practised, but he is pointing out that according to the parameters of what some refer to as 'traditional' and/or 'Christian' marriage it was permitted and condoned.

Then it was changed, for the betterment of a civilised society.

(Apologies if I'm treading on your toes Jimmy or putting words in your mouth).

Nope, domestic abuse was a Christian tradition long before Islam even existed.

It was only in the last half-century or so that marital rape was made illegal (not just in the UK but pretty much everywhere),

So, for over 95% of the existence of Christianity, rape has been a part of traditional Christian marriage.

feel better now you've outed yourself with the feminists :roll:

Not really, Jimmy is not suggesting that it was compulsory, or even widely practised, but he is pointing out that according to the parameters of what some refer to as 'traditional' and/or 'Christian' marriage it was permitted and condoned.

Then it was changed, for the betterment of a civilised society.

(Apologies if I'm treading on your toes Jimmy or putting words in your mouth).

Nope, that's exactly it bro! :)

are you suggesting that every christian does'nt?

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 14:32 ----------

isn't the point you accuse me of trying to avoid what the bible and church say about the subject,not the trendy christains you happen to know.

I do not know of one Christian organisation on the planet that follows every ruling in the Bible.

I know Christians of many denominations, I'm not sure what a 'trendy' Christian is.

I'm also not sure exactly which Church you mean as they don't seem able to agree with each other, and even when they do the official lines are not always followed by the practioners.

You seem to be adopting a Mr Smith esque attitude of avoiding specific points by trying to turn the argument around, you're doing it with me and you're doing it with Mike.

Let's get back to the point I made which was we need to establish why those against gay marriage accept the Biblical passages that suggest homosexuality is wrong and not other Biblical rulings.

Have you any idea why they do this?

feel better now you've outed yourself with the feminists :roll:

I wasn't aware I was in the closet, I am a feminist.

I'm confused, are you about to defend marital rape?

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 14:48 ----------

:huh:

I thought Sheffield forum was a place for discussion.

Or is it a place to express ones opinions so others can mock, ridicule and abuse you for holding such opinions.

What opinions bro? Give one already! ;)

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 14:52 ----------

Let me explain, for the first 1950 years or so of the existence of Christianity, there was no such thing as marital rape and wives were commanded to obey their husbands in all things.

In the last 50 years or so, the world has woken up and said 'screw that tradition', lets change what a traditional marriage is to make it fairer.

1950/2000 = 0.975

Therefore for over 95% of the existence of Christianity, rape has been a part of traditional Christian marriage

Archived