Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Absolutely unbelievable that he would say this.

Look at what he's actually said - not that he doesn't agree with it, but that it is

'clearly something that two same-sex partners can't do'

Why not?

Does he feel the same way about single parents too? Or is it just when there are TWO men or women that they lose the ability to look after children?

Here we go.....

The Welsh Secretary said in an interview that

"I regard marriage as an institution that has developed over many centuries, essentially for the provision of a warm and safe environment for the upbringing of children, which is clearly something that two same-sex partners can't do"

Er yes they can Mr Jones, they already do.

He went onto say that he had important people in his life who are gay - a bit like someone who prefixes a racist remark with "some of my best friends are black".

Anyway I wonder if Mr Jones has told those 'important people in his life' that they would make unfit parents?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/feb/15/gay-couples-children-welsh-secretary

A lot of people hold views like this but often seem unable to explain them when asked.

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 16:44 ----------

Absolutely unbelievable that he would say this.

Look at what he's actually said - not that he doesn't agree with it, but that it is

'clearly something that two same-sex partners can't do'

Why not?

Does he feel the same way about single parents too? Or is it just when there are TWO men or women that they lose the ability to look after children?

Not only that, he thinks marriage is about having children.

Right, as some posters on here find it really, really difficult to actually make things clear I'm going to pose an open question to those who are against same sex union.

I promise I wont call anyone bigoted or homophobic for their opinion (although I can't guarantee that other posters wont, although I would implore other posters not to so there can be no excuse for not answering), but what I would like is you sticking to the rules of the question to allow for easy analysis of the answer.

If you are against same sex marriage, or you think those that are have legitimate reasons for being so (to make this clear this means you agree with some of their reasoning)* would you mind detailing those reasons in a list format so we can go into each one on its own merit.

For example;

1. first reason

2. second reason

etc.

and (this is the important bit) sticking around so that when I pose follow up questions to establish the rational behind those reasons we can have an actual debate.

*This distinction is important to avoid those who agree with some of the reasoning behind being anti same sex union but wouldn't claim to be anti it themselves (anyone in particular :suspect:) claiming that they respect the right that opinion.

I fully respect their right to hold that opinion, but this is totally different to agreeing with specific elements of it, a distinction some apparently find difficult to make.

Archived