Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Civil partnerships certainly improved the situation, from how it was, but it still comes across as something of a "second rate" concession.

I think many people see it as a "not-quite-a-marriage".

I have friends who are civil partnershipped (CP) / are about to be CP'd. My own opinion is that, I refer to it as "getting married".

On a personal level, I would be happier, on behalf of my friends, and for the sake of equality/ parity/status (*insert whatever term you feel*) if their love and commitment to each other could be legally regarded as marriage.

Look, for example, at how the actor/ comedian Matt Lucas has been treated in the press, particularly after the death of his former CP (Husband?) Kevin McGee.

They "married" in 2006, shortly after the inception of the CP law in 2005, but, sadly, the relationship broke down, and they "divorced"/ their CP was dissolved.

The press, and not just the gutter press continued to insist on referring to Kevin McGee as Lucas' "boyfriend" and tended to persistently refer to the relationship in a derisory tone, which was unacceptable and demeaning.

Yes, it is true that a CP now has the right to accede to their other-half's pension. In the situation I mentioned above, a CP now has the right to be declared the next-of-kin, and consulted on the continuation or withdrawal of treatment if their OH is on life support. They also have the right to inherit in the case of intestacy, (no legally valid will) which is certainly better than the previous situation.

Thankyou for a factual and sensible answer to my question

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 12:44 ----------

Yes, married couples have no more rights than civil partners, they are recognised as equal in law, neither one better than the other.

Thankyou for a factual answer.

Which is exactly what they have with a civil partnership. I'm not sure that booking into a Riyahd hotel with a marriage certificate will be any advantage to doing the same with a civil partnership certificate.

Any chance of you answering those questions I put to you or ate you going to pretend you haven't seen them/dance around them again?

The thing I don't understand about the anti same sex marriage brigade is they insist til they're blue in the face that it's wrong yet when it comes into going into their reasoning they suddenly clam up.

Now that generally is indicative of someone who knows full well that their position is fundamentally flawed.

So are you going to answer or what?

Any chance of you answering those questions I put to you or ate you going to pretend you haven't seen them/dance around them again?

The thing I don't understand about the anti same sex marriage brigade is they insist til they're blue in the face that it's wrong yet when it comes into going into their reasoning they suddenly clam up.

Now that generally is indicative of someone who knows full well that their position is fundamentally flawed.

So are you going to answer or what?

Definately my last post.

I have comprehensively and logicaly explained my reasons against same sex marriage in this thread.

I answered questions put to me.

Explained what I meant by equal but different.

I have used facts in my reasons.

No where have I used homophobia, bigotry or discrimination.

Others may have opposing views but I would wish they would respect my views as I am expected to respect theirs in a debate which is about airing different views and perceptions.

Definately my last post.

I have comprehensively and logicaly explained my reasons against same sex marriage in this thread.

Others may have opposing views but I would wish they would respect my views as I am expected to respect theirs in a debate which is about airing different views and perceptions.

Thank you for that but I think PaliRich was looking for answers from Dingus - as many of us are.

Thank you for that but I think PaliRich was looking for answers from Dingus - as many of us are.

I think you are correct but he wrote it as if it was aimed at all anti same sex marriage posters.

(Ups, I said my previous post was definately my last. There have been pro same sex marriage posters, 3 I think, whose views I have taken on board and that is what debate is about)

I think you are correct but he wrote it as if it was aimed at all anti same sex marriage posters.

(Ups, I said my previous post was definately my last. There have been pro same sex marriage posters, 3 I think, whose views I have taken on board and that is what debate is about)

Yes, and as I have said before your thoughtfulness has impressed me sir. I salute you in all sincerity.

Definately my last post.

As Mike correctly stated my post was aimed at Dingus.

Maybe it was wrong to do so but my general comment was a generalization based on those who oppose same sex marriage I have had direction debate with. I cannot speak for those who I have had no dealings with. The comment stands for all those I have spoken with directly including the majority on this forum.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 16:11 ----------

I meant to add neither have I nor would I refer to someone as homophobic or bigoted for holding an opinion. I find such language inflammatory and detrimental to debate.

Archived