Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

In what way do the seat and place differ?

If you read the post, the "seat" and "place" only differ in that one group of people are legally required to call them by a different name.

Or are they the same but with different names, for instance I sit on the sofa whilst my other half sits on the settee. Same seat but different name.

Does she have to call it a settee by law?

Or does she have the same freedom as you with what she chooses to call it?

We're not talking about judgement, we're talking about person A being able to offer a counter. If they can't then they have no argument, why do you insist on trying to deviate when you don't have a counter?

But then unless you are impartial any counter might be dismissed because of your bias.

But then unless you are impartial any counter might be dismissed because of your bias.

If someone (person B) dismisses an argument, without any explanation or counter of their own, then they have no argument either. But it hasn't got that far and nothing has changed, it still remains that if person A can't offer an argument or explanation which counters person B's, then person A has no argument.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 20:04 ----------

Why do you try and negotiate? The man is clearly not interested in a discourse. Trying to reason with him is as futile as urinate upstream.

The more Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus posts, the more he discredits himself. It's a public awareness service I provide.

If you read the post, the "seat" and "place" only differ in that one group of people are legally required to call them by a different name.

Does she have to call it a settee by law?

Or does she have the same freedom as you with what she chooses to call it?

No she can call it whatever she likes, but calling it a table wouldn't make it a table. And I wouldn't have an issue if I was prevented from sitting on a seat as long as I could sit on a place, or from walking down the street as long as I can walk down the road. It doesn’t even bother me when I’m not allowed in the swimming baths because its ladies night.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 20:07 ----------

If someone (person B) dismisses an argument, without any explanation or counter of their own, then they have no argument either. But it hasn't got that far and nothing has changed, it still remains that if person A can't offer an argument or explanation which counters person B's, then person A has no argument.

Does the argument or explanation have to be acceptable to you? Or will you accept any argument or explanation?

No she can call it whatever she likes, but calling it a table wouldn't make it a table.

So that's not equal or the same as the situation in my post.

You never answered the question (surprise). Which question, you ask?

This one, in full...

"So do you think "equal but different" is okay? Would it be okay for black people to have to sit in a "place" while whites can sit in a "seat" ?

If you are confused at all about any of that just read the post again for the details. It's on page 50 of this thread. Just to confirm, black people (within the realm of that post) have to call the seat a "place", they have no choice.

Does the argument or explanation have to be acceptable to you? Or will you accept any argument or explanation?

If I have no argument against it or explanation to counter it, what reason would I have to NOT accept it?

You never answered the question (surprise). Which question, you ask?

This one, in full...

"So do you think "equal but different" is okay? Would it be okay for black people to have to sit in a "place" while whites can sit in a "seat" ?

This looks like an answer to me.

And I wouldn't have an issue if I was prevented from sitting on a seat as long as I could sit on a place, or from walking down the street as long as I can walk down the road. It doesn’t even bother me when I’m not allowed in the swimming baths because its ladies night.

That response refers to yourself, the question asks if you think it's okay to force a group of people to call their seat something different. Try again.

No one as suggested forcing anyone to do anything, and I wouldn’t force anyone to do anything, I also don’t see why it would be such an issue, who would give a toss what a seat, bench, chair, stool, sofa, is called as long as they can sit on it.

No one as suggested forcing anyone to do anything, and I wouldn’t force anyone to do anything, I also don’t see why it would be such an issue, who would give a toss what a seat, bench, chair, stool, sofa, is called as long as they can sit on it.

It was in the post, if a black person wants a seat equal to that of a white person, they have to call it a place.

If you want an example outside of that post, if gays want an official and legally recognised union which is, in your opinion, equal to that of heterosexuals, they have to (in legal terms) call it a civil partnership.

Would you mind answering the question?

Archived