Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

I think that given that johncocker's early contribution to the thread included this little gem, he can safely be discounted as someone who's given this issue any serious thought:

[...] is it any of my damned business ? of course it is these are decisions that effect everybody in society

the way society is rapidly going down hill its the thin end of the wedge. [...]

If the basis of gay marriage is "consenting adults" why isn't incest legal yet? What about polygamy?if Marriage is not just about breeding, so who's to say a father and daughter, for example, have to have children? Maybe they just want to have protected sex. What if poeople argued against homosexuality because of AIDS/HIV?

It’s been answered many times by many members, but you appear incapable of understanding or even recognising the answer.

Strange, there's only been two people who've responded to the question and neither gave an actual answer.

1. Yourself, when you said that your wife calls the settee whatever she wants

2. JohnCocker, when he said blacks aren't the same as gays

Could you show me, and highlight, the exact wording where anyone has answered the question? Or better yet, answer it yourself, it was originally asked of you.

It is a very simple and direct question, a yes or no will do, if that makes it easier for you.

after having my posts removed for responding to the goading and false accusations just think yourselves lucky you got any kind of response all.

Trick is to not respond in kind to goading posts- just report them so they get removed. If you don't do that and then post an aggressive reply, there's a good chance you'll have your post removed.

I may disagree with the mods here when it comes to their tendency to lock threads, but, in my experience, they are pretty on the ball when it comes to dealing with reported offensive/goading/trolling posts.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 12:50 ----------

Yes

Having an opinion that marriage should stay as it is, isn’t close to dictating what others can and cannot do.

It is if marriage as it currently is, excludes gay people for no good reason. If that's the case, anyone defending it and arguing that changing it to remove any prejudice against gay people, is dictating what others can and cannot do

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 12:54 ----------

It’s been answered many times by many members, but you appear incapable of understanding or even recognising the answer.

Could you do me a favour, as I've also missed the answer, possibly cos I've not read the whole thread.

Could you pick just one of the answers, perhaps the one you think is strongest, as to why gays shouldn't be allowed to be married, and post it up here please? Just so I know what we're talking about.

He holds a different opinion,do you really think he has expressed that in an aggressive way,i don't.

With respect Janie I'm guessing you didn't see the post in which he flew off the handle and called me names. A post which has subsequently been removed by the mods.

With respect Janie I'm guessing you didn't see the post in which he flew off the handle and called me names. A post which has subsequently been removed by the most.

Oh no i didn't see that post, i'm sorry for interfering.

There isn't any excuse for insults and name calling.

Oh no i didn't see that post, i'm sorry for interfering.

There isn't any excuse for insults and name calling.

You weren't to know. I wouldn't call them 'insults' but he did come across aggressively and call me unsubstantiated names which I have asked him several times since why he referred to me in such ways which, like every other question he has been asked directly, he has avoided.

I have tried to make it clear several times that I personally have no problem if someone has a different opinion to me regarding same sex marriage, however, I have yet to hear anyone on this thread against it give a reasoned argument as to why. That's all I'm interested in, what is the reasoning behind someones aversion to it.

edit; I meant to say mods in my last post, I've corrected it now.

Trick is to not respond in kind to goading posts- just report them so they get removed. If you don't do that and then post an aggressive reply, there's a good chance you'll have your post removed.

I may disagree with the mods here when it comes to their tendency to lock threads, but, in my experience, they are pretty on the ball when it comes to dealing with reported offensive/goading/trolling posts.

There was no goading involved, I pointed out that his huge post didn't answer the question, which he didn't like

Could you pick just one of the answers, perhaps the one you think is strongest, as to why gays shouldn't be allowed to be married, and post it up here please? Just so I know what we're talking about.

Actually the question we're talking about was 'Do you think it's okay that the black person has to call their seat a "place"?'

The answers given to "why shouldn't gays be allowed to be married?" have so far been;

-1.Marriage is clearly not meant for gays, as they are different (eh?)

-2.Gays can't reproduce (what does reproduction have to do with marriage?)

-3.They already have civil partnerships, which are equal but different (which they aren't, but some people don't want to acknowledge this)

-4.They will be imposing their beliefs on others (how so?)

-5.There will be knock-on effects in society (like what?)

So far nobody has put an explanation forward to back up any these opinions as an argument. There have been half-efforts made but when the holes are pointed out to them under scrutiny, the anti-gay marriage posters clam up or say things like "you have your answers, you just don't like them", or they just throw a tantrum.

So far nobody has put an explanation forward to back up any these opinions as an argument. There have been half-efforts made but when the holes are pointed out to them under scrutiny, the anti-gay marriage posters clam up or say things like "you have your answers, you just don't like them", or they just throw a tantrum.

Which is also my personal difficulty.

There seems to be many people against gay marriage (or those who say they can understand the reasoning why others are against it) but not very many (none) who have actually given any substantiated reasoning behind why they are against it.

Strange, there's only been two people who've responded to the question and neither gave an actual answer.

1. Yourself, when you said that your wife calls the settee whatever she wants

2. JohnCocker, when he said blacks aren't the same as gays

Could you show me, and highlight, the exact wording where anyone has answered the question? Or better yet, answer it yourself, it was originally asked of you.

It is a very simple and direct question, a yes or no will do, if that makes it easier for you.

There is nothing wrong with calling different things by different names, and in many cases we even call the same thing by different names.

For instance because I am married my partner could be called my wife, partner, other half, spouse, better half, the old dear, ball and chain, her indoors, the missus, trouble and strife, love muffin' and probably many more names.

Archived