Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

I know exactly why it feels abusive. Because it forces the bigoted person to confront the reality of their position - that is, the awareness that their prejudices, their opinions, their belief structures are actively damaging to other people when they express them in public.

That's uncomfortable because deep down, most people don't like to think that publicly displaying their opinions might have that effect. They don't want to think of themselves as the bully, the nasty person, the one who is the cause of the problem, because it's human nature to want to be well-thought of by others.

That's why when I point out (a) that those opinions are bigoted and (b) what the cumulative effect of that bigotry and culture of homophobia is, I get called abusive, aggressive, confrontational, etc, and told to calm down because I'm over-reacting. The problem is displaced (meaninglessly, I think) onto me (or anyone else calling out bigotry) as a way to deflect the perceived criticism.

It doesn't work. What would work is if the people who hold the bigoted opinions kept them private - or thought about them in a considered and critical way.

Not sure its possible to have a bigoted opinion, to be bigoted you have to be intolerant of someone because of their opinion.

But let’s say for one minute everyone with an opinion that you find offensive kept their opinion to themselves and you kept all your opinions to yourself, how would we ever discus anything.

Not sure its possible to have a bigoted opinion, to be bigoted you have to be intolerant of someone because of their opinion.

But let’s say for one minute everyone with an opinion that you find offensive kept their opinion to themselves and you kept all your opinions to yourself, how would we ever discus anything.

I don't need to keep my opinions to myself, because I don't post opinions that cause damage to other people.

It's only the bigots who should think twice about posting.

Do people have to have opposing opinions to have a discussion?

No but you keep asking question that can only be answered by someone with an opposing opinion to you and discussion involving people with the same opinion in which everyone agrees tend to be very short.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 18:16 ----------

I don't need to keep my opinions to myself, because I don't post opinions that cause damage to other people.

Thats a matter of opinion.

It's only the bigots who should think twice about posting.

I disagree, I think they should have every right to share there opinion.

However I think with that right comes the responsibility to expect, and be honest enough to answer criticism about the reasoning behind those opinions - and this is what this thread has been sadly lacking; there seems to be some people who are against gay marriage, but none who have actually been honest enough to explain the reasoning behind why they are against it when specifically asked.

Whether it's religious extremists, homophobics or racists there seems to be a sad trend that they want the platform to speak but crawl away when the platform to explain under scrutiny is available.

It’s already stifled, why would anyone want to enter a discussion in which they will receive verbal abuse?

I see you're back MrSmith- any chance you could address my Question from several pages back-

Could you do me a favour, as I've also missed the answer, possibly cos I've not read the whole thread.

Could you pick just one of the answers, perhaps the one you think is strongest, as to why gays shouldn't be allowed to be married, and post it up here please? Just so I know what we're talking about.

No but you keep asking question that can only be answered by someone with an opposing opinion to you[/Quote]

There is a very, very simple reason why I keep asking questions of those who have an opposing opinion - none of them have actually answered.

and discussion involving people with the same opinion in which everyone agrees tend to be very short[/Quote]

Really? That's funny because the longest conversations that take place in my life are those I have with my closest friends, and they are usually things we agree on.

There is a very, very simple reason why I keep asking questions of those who have an opposing opinion - none of them have actually answered.

Really? That's funny because the longest conversations that take place in my life are those I have with my closest friends, and they are usually things we agree on.

Sorry I was referring to discussion on a forum which tend to be short if everyone is in agreement.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 18:50 ----------

I think several of us on this thread would love it if you actually attempted some discussion, rather than the question avoidance. :)

I agree discussion would be much better than interrogation and abuse.

No one here has a problem with people opposing gay marriage- but it's a discussion thread, so the whole point is for opposers to engage in the discussion and give actual reasons for their opposition.

Clearly many of the post suggest otherwise, several of the members that oppose gay marriage left quite early on in the thread because of the abuse.

A very sensible post- I'm betting you get no relevant response.

It’s not applicable to me since I don't oppose gay marriage. That’s rather my point, the members that might have answered it left because of the abuse.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 18:51 ----------

I suspect that the majority of adults wouldn't understand why someone would get upset to have their prejudices accurately described.

Unless they were living in denial of course.

That would rather depend on our respective social circles, everyone in mine understands it.

Sorry I was referring to discussion on a forum which tend to be short if everyone is in agreement.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 18:50 ----------

I agree discussion would be much better than interrogation and abuse.

Clearly many of the post suggest otherwise, several of the members that oppose gay marriage left quite early on in the thread because of the abuse.

There was no abuse, but feel free to point any out.

It’s not applicable to me since I don't oppose gay marriage. That’s rather my point, the members that might have answered it left because of the abuse.

Did you just say that you're in favour of gay marriage?

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 18:51 ----------

That would rather depend on our respective social circles, everyone in mine understands it.

And yet you refuse to explain it to the 99% of adults outside your special social circle who don't get it.

Archived