Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

He did read my post incorrectly which lead him to an incorrect conclusion.

So, you observed the behaviour of another poster and then classified it as you saw fit without a moment's concern for whether or not you offended that poster. You assumed he has poor reading skills after witnessing a single reading error.

Your opinion might be correct but how does pointing it out and causing offence further the discussion?

If I was having a discussion with someone that appeared to have poor reading skills then I wouldn’t continually point out that they have poor reading skills, because that would just stop them discussing the reason they think the way they think. Insulting someone that you are trying to talk to is counterproductive.

You're opinion might be correct but how does pointing it out and causing offence further the dissuasion?

If I was having a discussion with to someone that appeared to be homophobic then I wouldn’t continually point out that they are homophobic, because that would just stop them discussing the reason they think the way they think. Insulting someone that you are trying to talk to is counterproductive.

I doupt you even know which post we are talking about.

And now you need to add Halibut to the growing list of those you have insulted.

You are letting yourself down badly MrSmith, after telling us all so much about you exceptionally high moral standards.

I was brought up to be polite no matter what I thought of someone.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 19:52 ----------

I'd suggest that the best way deal with trolls is to simply stop responding to their posts.

I believe Mrsmith is trolling here- I suspect several others on this (and other threads) believe the same.

I think you are right here Dave and most of us know it. His credibility has been torn to shreds on several similar threads and his brand of non-comittal devil's advocacy had been exposed time and time again as dishonest.

I am fairly sure, as are others, that MrSmith and Maxmaximus are one and the same. Others have suggested that JohnCocker is from the same stable.

Perhaps it's time to collectively agree that a diet of starvation is the only sensible course of action because sadly this thread has been comprehensively ruined by morally-dubious avoidance, evasion and obfuscation.

So, you observed the behaviour of another poster and then classified it as you saw fit without a moment's concern for whether or not you offended that poster. You assumed he has poor reading skills after witnessing a single reading error.

I didn't think it was a reading error, I responded sarcastically to something I felt was sarcastic.

Your opinion might be correct but how does pointing it out and causing offence further the discussion?

It wasn't intended to further discussion because it had nothing to do with the topic, it was meant to end that bit of off topic banter.

If I was having a discussion with someone that appeared to have poor reading skills then I wouldn’t continually point out that they have poor reading skills, because that would just stop them discussing the reason they think the way they think. Insulting someone that you are trying to talk to is counterproductive.

Nor me, but in this case it wasn't counterproductive because further discussion would have gone further off topic.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 19:56 ----------

And now you need to add Halibut to the growing list of those you have insulted.

I wouldn't insult halibut because to do so gets you an instant ban.

You are letting yourself down badly MrSmith, after telling us all so much about you exceptionally high moral standards.

If you want to discuss the topic with people that oppose your views then insulting them isn't a good way to go about it.

I think you are right here Dave and most of us know it. His credibility has been torn to shreds on several similar threads and his brand of non-comittal devil's advocacy had been exposed time and time again as dishonest.

I am fairly sure, as are others, that MrSmith and Maxmaximus are one and the same. Others have suggested that JohnCocker is from the same stable.

Perhaps it's time to collectively agree that a diet of starvation is the only sensible course of action because sadly this thread has been comprehensively ruined by morally-dubious avoidance, evasion and obfuscation.

I agree- simply cease to respond to his posts. I'd suggest not following up the alias/multiple identity theory on this thread either, as it will only give more reasons for Mrsmith to start up yet another side-line discussion.

I'm certainly getting tired of seeing threads ruined by Mrsmiths trolling and the associated responses which lead only to vast amounts of wordage that has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

I agree- simply cease to respond to his posts. I'd suggest not following up the alias/multiple identity theory on this thread either, as it will only give more reasons for Mrsmith to start up yet another side-line discussion.

I'm certainly getting tired of seeing threads ruined by Mrsmiths trolling and the associated responses which lead only to vast amounts of wordage that has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Yep, you're right. I'm out.

Archived