Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

I hate the way that new posts are combined, it makes it far more confusing.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 11:33 ----------

Digsy seems to be married to the strange concept that politicians are trying to redefine words. I doubt that we can divorce him from that idea. Very odd.

Possibly because duh they are trying to redefine words.

I think the Archbishop of Tonbridge sums it up quite well.

I also back the Church of Englands stance.

I thought this was interesting and I don't wish to turn this into a specifically religious thread but apparently 7 out of 8 Muslim UK MPs voted FOR gay marriage. No, this doesn't mean that islam is pro-gay. What it means is that muslims can be pro-gay. They can be openly pro-gay, at least here, in the UK. This is more evidence that it's a mistake to judge people purely by religious and cultural labels.

You need to get a new dictionary as it appears the one you are using doesn't contain the correct definition of equal.

jb

Even better would be for you to explain in what why gay people don’t have equality and how it is unfair or prejudicial to call their union a different word to marriage.

Well same sex marriage will happen and i wouldn't actively protest against it but i'm a traditional kind of guy who believes marriage should be between a man and a woman, fair enough if gay couples want to do their thing but i don't think it should be accepted as the norm and given the status of a "real" marriage, it demeans the most sacred vow a coupe can make to each other, in my opinion of course.

Traditional marriage is a possesive ritual that mostly existed to control women.

In a traditional christian marriage the women has to submit to the authority of the man in all things.

In a traditional Christian marriage the husband has the right to take the wife sexually whenever he desires and there is no rape.

Traditional Christian marriages last for life and cannot be dissolved.

Unless you're arguing that we should go back to all that then you should stop being a coward and using 'tradition' as your excuse, it's bull.

They already had equality so it's not relevant.

They don't have equality

Even better would be for you to explain in what why gay people don’t have equality and how it is unfair or prejudicial to call their union a different word to marriage.

For a start they are excluded from the "great institution of marriage", something we are often told is important in society and is encouraged by most MPs and clergy. They cannot honestly call each other husband or wife.

Another inequality is that if a same sex Christian couple wanted to marry in a Church, even if the Church and clergy approved and wanted to carry out the ceremony, they are not allowed.

"4. Just want equality" does not fall under "3.Want marriage redefined but can’t explain why it’s such an important issue to them".

They don't have equality

For a start they are excluded from the "great institution of marriage", something we are often told is important in society and is encouraged by most MPs and clergy. They cannot honestly call each other husband or wife.

Another inequality is that if a same sex Christian couple wanted to marry in a Church, even if the Church and clergy approved and wanted to carry out the ceremony, they are not allowed.

"4. Just want equality" does not fall under "3.Want marriage redefined but can’t explain why it’s such an important issue to them".

A gay person isn't and has never been excluded from the great institution of marriage, they just have to abide by the same rules has a heterosexual person, and many gay people are married.

A gay person isn't and has never been excluded from the great institution of marriage, they just have to abide by the same rules has a heterosexual person, and many gay people are married.

A gay couple are excluded from the great institute of marriage together.

Civil partnership =/= marriage.

Same sex couples cannot marry, different sex couples can. Therefore same sex couples are treated differently to different sex couples, therefore the unions are not equal, therefore they are being discriminated against.

Now, could you please explain why they shouldn't be allowed to get married?

jb

Archived