Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Day 2. Oh the horror.

I wake up and look out of my window to see a new era of tribal warfare erupt on our streets. The spokes people agreed on one point - now that two people of the same sex can marry then human beings have no future on planet earth and we're now all in a state of total war.

This is the price we must pay, to allow 2 men to make a decision that doesn't affect us. If we make it to day 3, I dread to think of the evil that awaits us.

I think this is all getting a bit too much for you, try to keep things in perspective and not worry about it too much.

The bill has o be approved by the House of Lords yet.

BTW, you didn't just make them up, did you?

Chris_Sleeps reminds me with his humour of something Lewis Black said in response to Rick Santorum's comment about gay marriage being a threat to American values:

"It's prejudice, and it's ignorance, on a level that is staggering at this point in time. But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's a group of gay bandidos. They travel from village to dell. And as night falls, they travel to that cul-de-sac, where only one house stands. And in the window, you see a family, just setting down to their evening meal. And these queers... these queers... don their black hoods, and matching pumps, very tasteful. Sneak up to the house ever so slightly, open the door, and start... <censored> EACH OTHER <censored>! AND ANOTHER AMERICAN FAMILY... IS DESTROYED! "

Ridiculous isn't it, so if it isn't prejudice it makes me suspect that the fear is more about their irrelevance.

I remember clearly the debate about giving gays access to civil partnerships ten years ago, and it was exactly the same. The same people trotting out the same irrational nonsense about moral collapse, the sanctity of marriage, the slippery slope, and won't somebody just think about the children! Trouble is ... nothing changed.

This is what they fear. To pinch this from another blog:

"I was trying to figure out why people get so upset about gay marriage. After all, it has absolutely no effect on the lives of non-gays. Zero. It is, practically speaking, a change in legal formalities giving people certain rights and responsibilities. So why do people get so worked up considering that the day gay marriage is legalized will be be, for most people, just like any other day. And that's when I realized that that is precisely why certain people - religious authorities in particular - are so scared. They are scared because nothing will change. For all their bluster and dire warnings of moral collapse due to homosexuality, not one thing will be different in most people's lives. Which is in complete contradiction with how they want people to believe the world works. And so their authority will be undermined in its entirety. More people will realize that they do not need that authority to tell them how to live, and this terrifies them!"

No, a civil partnership is a different ceremony, up until now a civil partnership could not include religious readings, music or symbols (whatever that means, presumably crosses) and they couldn't take place in a place of religious worship.

So the ceremony was similar, but not equal.

My apologies the article I looked at was a little out of date - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/17/gay-marriage-civil-partnerships - Feb 17 2011

It's still called a civil partnership though and not a marriage, and there isn't any good reason for it

Most of your original post still stands Esme, legislation was changed recently which allows people the use of a religious building, but no actual religious ceremony is permitted (for civil partnerships).

Civil ceremonies can include readings, songs or music, but must not include anything that’s religious - eg hymns or readings from the Bible.

Civil partnerships are not equal to marriage.

I dont really know what the difference is. I think it's just a marriage with no religious angle to it, and probably a lot cheaper. So yea why not.

That about sums it up, a wedding in a registry office, two people in the eyes of the law are united which gives them some legal rights, the only difference being the name, makes you wonder what all the fuss is about from both sides of the argument.

That about sums it up, a wedding in a registry office, two people in the eyes of the law are united which gives them some legal rights, the only difference being the name, makes you wonder what all the fuss is about from both sides of the argument.

Same sex couples can't get married in a registry office. It's only a name so why not just let them? I don't see what all the fuss is about.

jb

Marriage as a concept is the joining of a man and a woman in holy matrimony. It's that simple and I dont know why there is a discussion about it :confused:

Like a cheese omelette is the joining of plain omelette and cheese. You cant make a cheese omelette with either just plain omelette or just cheese. You can however have the two together on a plate to get a very similar taste but it isnt a cheese omelette.

Really? What about a Register Office wedding? How "holy" are they?

Archived