Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Surely the answer to the question is : Anything that has to be debated in parliament to be altered or amended is my damned business.

So, assuming that you believe that it's your damned business, what are you going to do about the thing that is your damned business?

Is it any of your damned business if two people you don't know want to get married?

No of course it isn't my business,but its the churches business on whether they chooose to perform a religious wedding service for a gay couple and not the govermen'ts business to decide for them.

I'm sure i'm not alone in that view, and it isn't anything to do with being anti-gay,though its bound to be assumed otherwise by many people.

No of course it isn't my business,but its the churches business on whether they chooose to perform a religious wedding service for a gay couple and not the govermen'ts business to decide for them.

I'm sure i'm not alone in that view, and it isn't anything to do with being anti-gay,though its bound to be assumed otherwise by many people.

Churches can still choose, the regulation aims is to give same sex couples the option to choose a civil marriage. Nothing to do with churches OR religion.

jb

ETA: The regulation in question.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2012-2013/0126/cbill_2012-20130126_en_1.htm

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/marriagesamesexcouplesbill.html

jb

Churches can still choose, the regulation aims is to give same sex couples the option to choose a civil marriage. Nothing to do with churches OR religion.

jb

ETA: The regulation in question.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2012-2013/0126/cbill_2012-20130126_en_1.htm

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/marriagesamesexcouplesbill.html

jb

I'm referring to the church,not civil marriage thats different.The Archbishop of Canterbury is the acting head of the established church in this Country its up to him to decide on whether the church should allow gay marriage not David Cameron.

What is the difference?

I dont really know what the difference is. I think it's just a marriage with no religious angle to it, and probably a lot cheaper. So yea why not.

The technical differences are that;

1. A civil partnership cannot include any religious music, symbols or holy text readings

2. A same sex couple are excluded from the "great institution of marriage" which is supposed to be important to society

3. A civil partnership does not require any vows or agreements to be made between the couple

The other differences are in attitudes toward civil partnerships. An example is that some of those against same sex marriage seem to see it as a "win" for them, something to prevent "the gays" from taking over, while those who are for same sex marriage may (understandably) see it as an insult that they are denied the same status as a married couple.

No of course it isn't my business, but its the churches business on whether they chooose to perform a religious wedding service for a gay couple and not the govermen'ts business to decide for them.

The government aren't trying to make Churches marry gay couples, quite the opposite actually.

Really? What about a Register Office wedding? How "holy" are they?

To a Catholic like me that is not a 'proper' wedding / marriage. The whole point is the declaring to God and having God formally join you. A register office wedding is basically a civil ceremony.

Same sex couples can't get married in a registry office. It's only a name so why not just let them? I don't see what all the fuss is about.

jb

No, but they can have a wedding in a registry office and the result is the same apart from the name, I agree about it being a fuss about nothing, one group of people wanting the name of what they can already do changing to marriage and another group not wanting it changing to marriage, you couldn’t make it up. Just goes to show humans will fight about nothing.

I'm referring to the church,not civil marriage thats different.The Archbishop of Canterbury is the acting head of the established church in this Country its up to him to decide on whether the church should allow gay marriage not David Cameron.

The CoE is exempt from the proposed legislation. It is still up to , and will remain so, the CoE to decide whether they want to perform same sex marriages.

I posted a link to the proposed legislation so that you could read it.

jb

Archived