Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

No, but they can have a wedding in a registry office and the result is the same apart from the name, I agree about it being a fuss about nothing, one group of people wanting the name of what they can already do changing to marriage and another group not wanting it changing to marriage, you couldn’t make it up. Just goes to show humans will fight about nothing.

Or they may debate rationally about equality...

The technical differences are that;

1. A civil partnership cannot include any religious music, symbols or holy text readings

2. A same sex couple are excluded from the "great institution of marriage" which is supposed to be important to society

3. A civil partnership does not require any vows or agreements to be made between the couple

The other differences are in attitudes toward civil partnerships. An example is that some of those against same sex marriage seem to see it as a "win" for them, something to prevent "the gays" from taking over, while those who are for same sex marriage may (understandably) see it as an insult that they are denied the same status as a married couple.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 13:28 ----------

This bill wasn't mentioned in the manifesto,If i had known Cameron was going to do this i wouldn't have been out campaigning for the party at the last election.;)

If you had known Cameron would try and protect the Church from being forced to marry gays you wouldn't have been out campaigning for him? Why?

I don't understand the difference between marriage and civil partnership, I thought it was the same thing. If it is, then just get a civil partnership, and if the difference is purely religious, then...why do gays want to be married by an institution which fundamentally disagrees with what they're doing?

I don't understand the difference between marriage and civil partnership, I thought it was the same thing. If it is, then just get a civil partnership, and if the difference is purely religious, then...why do gays want to be married by an institution which fundamentally disagrees with what they're doing?

See http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9554572&postcount=336 for an explanation

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 13:34 ----------

Nothing,but this bill doesn't just concern a civil marriage.

You seem to still misunderstand the situation Janie, Cameron is trying to protect the Church

To a Catholic like me that is not a 'proper' wedding / marriage. The whole point is the declaring to God and having God formally join you. A register office wedding is basically a civil ceremony.

So what you seem to be suggesting is that not only do we restrict marriage to gays, but we restrict it to those that don't even share your belief in the Catholic God ... how very Christian of you.

What you need then is a new word.

Since marriages have been happening for ages before the Abrahamic God was imagined, you need to think of a word that describes the sort of marriage you describe. Larriage perhaps

lar·riage [lar-ij]

noun

the social institution under which specifically a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife, declaring it to lil-minx92's Catholic God, joined by lil-minx92's Catholic God, and using lil-minx92's approved religious ceremonies

The CoE is exempt from the proposed legislation. It is still up to , and will remain so, the CoE to decide whether they want to perform same sex marriages.

jb

But they will now be exposed to huge pressure and demonstrations- possibly violent, to perform what is now (or soon will be legal). Before they didnt have this issue to contend with. How long before the first priest gets attacked for standing his ground.

Nothing,but this bill doesn't just concern a civil marriage.

Section 1 part 3.

No Canon of the Church of England is contrary to section 3 of the Submission

of the Clergy Act 1533 (which provides that no Canons shall be contrary to the

Royal Prerogative or the customs, laws or statutes of this realm) by virtue of its

15making provision about marriage being the union of one man with one

woman.

Section 1 part 4

Any duty of a member of the clergy to solemnize marriages (and any

corresponding right of persons to have their marriages solemnized by

members of the clergy) is not extended by this Act to marriages of same sex

couples

... so, what's your problem?

jb

So what you seem to be suggesting is that not only do we restrict marriage to gays, but we restrict it to those that don't even share your belief in the Catholic God ... how very Christian of you.

What you need then is a new word.

Since marriages have been happening for ages before the Abrahamic God was imagined, you need to think of a word that describes the sort of marriage you describe. Larriage perhaps

lar·riage [lar-ij]

noun

the social institution under which specifically a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife, declaring it to lil-minx92's Catholic God, joined by lil-minx92's Catholic God, and using lil-minx92's approved religious ceremonies

:hihi: you already did that!

Archived