Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Just a thought whilst you two are having a hissy........ is it wrong to disagree with gay marriage, and isnt that blocking freedom of speech to do so?

Is disagreeing with an opinion 'blocking freedom of speech'?

Err, like, no.

Just a thought whilst you two are having a hissy........ is it wrong to disagree with gay marriage, and isnt that blocking freedom of speech to do so?

Not at all, but having an opinion isn't enough to make it right. There is also the freedom to be wrong and others have the freedom to point it out.

The overwhelming body of opinion these days is that the current legal position is wrong and immoral. There are no rights to hide behind, just wrongs.

I think it is wrong to disagree with gay marriage, and it isn't blocking free speech to disagree with gay marriage.

Is that what you were asking?

:huh:

Is disagreeing with an opinion 'blocking freedom of speech'?

Err, like, no.

I didnt expect a sensible reply from you, but you didnt quite get the question did you?

I will try and explain it better.

If I was to stand up and say "I dont agree with gay marriage" is that wrong or homophobic or bigotry etc etc?

Just because a person may or may not agree with a certain subject, does that make them wrong?

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 22:13 ----------

I think it is wrong to disagree with gay marriage, and it isn't blocking free speech to disagree with gay marriage.

Is that what you were asking?

:huh:

Yes, but sadly all the huffaw around at the moment is branding people who disagree as bigots. That in my opinion is deeply wrong.

No, different people have different beliefs and different ethics, neither is right nor wrong. Sadly wars have been fought because of these differences of opinion between different humans.

I didnt expect a sensible reply from you, but you didnt quite get the question did you?

If I was to stand up and say "I dont agree with gay marriage" is that wrong or homophobic or bigotry etc etc?

Just because a person may or may not agree with a certain subject, does that make them wrong?

Pretty much, yeah.

In answer to the second question, whether they're wrong or not depends on whatever's being discussed. In this case, someone saying 'Gay marriage is wrong' is wrong.

If I was to stand up and say "I dont agree with gay marriage" is that wrong or homophobic or bigotry etc etc?.

It could be all three. What reasons would be given to help determine which description is appropriate?

I heard one of the opponents of gay marriage (a Tory MP) had been called a Nazi and received death threats. Despicable behaviour. :shakes:

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 22:22 ----------

Depends on your motive. If it's just because you don't like gays then yes. If you just happen to be the sort of person that accepts marriage has always been between a man and woman, that's the way marriage has been defined since forever, and you believe it should stay that way, then no I don't think so.

It could be all three. What reasons would be given to help determine which description is appropriate?

Well, to me it just dosent seem democratic. I dont like cyclists, which is wrong in the sense that you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, and I accept that, but that is my personal view, and its based on factual evidence of what I have to put up with day after day. Yes, maybe not all members of this group of society are bad, but to me I just dont see eye to eye with them, however the fact that I can say this out loud does not seem to offend people in the same way as the opposition to gay marriage has. My daft beef with the cyclists is probably misplaced and a bit silly, but the fact is that I can, and usually do say what I feel about them, and the cyclists take this as im a bit of a twit, which is fine by me, but the essence is I can freely say these things, yet somebody elses objection to gay marriage is scorned with such vigour???

Well, to me it just dosent seem democratic. I dont like cyclists, which is wrong in the sense that you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, and I accept that, but that is my personal view, and its based on factual evidence of what I have to put up with day after day. Yes, maybe not all members of this group of society are bad, but to me I just dont see eye to eye with them, however the fact that I can say this out loud does not seem to offend people in the same way as the opposition to gay marriage has. My daft beef with the cyclists is probably misplaced and a bit silly, but the fact is that I can, and usually do say what I feel about them, and the cyclists take this as im a bit of a twit, which is fine by me, but the essence is I can freely say these things, yet somebody elses objection to gay marriage is scorned with such vigour???

People who object to gay marriage are scorned vigourously because they're wrong and wrong and wrong.

Your beef with cyclists is maybe misplaced and silly, but it's not restricting cyclists freedom to use the roads.

People who object to gay marriage want to restrict other peoples freedom for no good reason. That's a deeply wrong thing.

Archived