Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Yo, bigots.

How's it feel knowing that not only do you spread needless unpleasantness in the world, you also display your lack of education?

Here's some links for you, because I'm feeling generous.

Wikipedia entry on homosexuality - your basic primer.

With bonus page on homosexual behaviour in animals to get rid of that insane 'unnatural' argument you're so fond of.

Here's the page on sexology - look! Knowing about these things is a whole scientific subject! Not just reliant on people's culturally-induced gut reactions! WHO KNEW?

Here's volume one of Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality because, well, why the hell not, eh?

Here's a link to a sex education service that serves millions of young people online every year. This is a *specific* link to the talkboard pages where young people talk about their fears, concerns and experiences about being LGBT. You'll notice that the thread right at the top is called 'Homophobic family and friends.'

This is the first page of google image search results for David Bowie.

This is the first page of google news search results for 'homophobic attack'. NB 'About 2,960 results'.

Here's Stonewall's page on homophobic hate crime and hate incidents. According to the Association of Chief Police Officers in the UK, a good proportion of the more negative posts on this thread constitute a 'hate incident.' How's that feel, guys? Being all hateful? So hateful that even the police think you're hateful? Does it feel good? Warm and fuzzy?

And, finally, here's a picture of a happy couple getting married.

Brilliant Jessica, just brilliant!

I fear it may be too much for some and go over the heads of others...the sort who have already made up their grubby minds and would not allow facts to cloud their perceptions...the sort who say, "I'm too old to change."

---------- Post added 08-02-2013 at 19:46 ----------

For gawds sake buck, don't look at that last photo!

Howay man...you've spoiled the surprise now!

Yo, bigots.

How's it feel knowing that not only do you spread needless unpleasantness in the world, you also display your lack of education?

And those bigots, no doubt, would be anybody who is not homosexual or anybody who does not agree with you?

I find the title of this thread somewhat disquieting.

"Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?"

There seems to be an implication that if you are not Gay, then anything to do with Gay people is none of your business.

(That's taking the West Lothian Question to a new level. ;))

Surely any law passed in the UK is the business of all voters?

If you watch Mrs Browns Boys, she summed it up perfectly, she said to the father I want Rory & Dino's wedding to be blessed in the church, the priest said "the church won't allow it".

The debate went on & he said the church does not agree with 2 same sex people getting married, so she said what is the church's view on people being in love.

Sort of puts it in a nutshell, people no matter what their sexual preferences are, fall in love; homosexuality, is not the devil word it once was.

We are in the 21st century, perhaps its time people were dragged kicking & screaming into it.

I do agree with Rupert though, the title of the thread is a tad provocative, and inflammatory.

Yo, bigots.

Wikipedia entry on homosexuality - your basic primer.

With bonus page on homosexual behaviour in animals to get rid of that insane 'unnatural' argument you're so fond of.

Here's the page on sexology - look! Knowing about these things is a whole scientific subject! Not just reliant on people's culturally-induced gut reactions! WHO KNEW?

Here's volume one of Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality because, well, why the hell not, eh?

Here's a link to a sex education service that serves millions of young people online every year. This is a *specific* link to the talkboard pages where young people talk about their fears, concerns and experiences about being LGBT. You'll notice that the thread right at the top is called 'Homophobic family and friends.'

This is the first page of google image search results for David Bowie.

This is the first page of google news search results for 'homophobic attack'. NB 'About 2,960 results'.

Here's Stonewall's page on homophobic hate crime and hate incidents. According to the Association of Chief Police Officers in the UK, a good proportion of the more negative posts on this thread constitute a 'hate incident.' How's that feel, guys? Being all hateful? So hateful that even the police think you're hateful? Does it feel good? Warm and fuzzy?

And, finally, here's a picture of a happy couple getting married.

I seem to remember you ending an earlier post with the quote "we're queer and we're here"

Would it be considered homophobic behaviour if an hetrosexual person referred to an homosexual person by this term ?

And those bigots, no doubt, would be anybody who is not homosexual or anybody who does not agree with you ?

No dude, just the bigots. The ones who write the bigoted things and publish them on the internet to display their bigotry to the world at large. Just them.

I seem to remember you ending an earlier post with the quote "we're queer and we're here"

Would it be considered homophobic behaviour if an hetrosexual person referred to an homosexual person by this term ?

It depends on the context. It can be homophobic if used in a derogatory fashion, but it's also been reclaimed by some members of the LGBT community. Similar to ****** when it's used by black rappers, comedians etc. Language is a complex thing.

More on the 'we're here and we're queer' slogan here.

That depends on context. However, the word 'queer' isn't generally insulting.

Thanks Chris.

I thought it would have been regarded as insulting whatever context it was used in.

---------- Post added 08-02-2013 at 20:09 ----------

It depends on the context. It can be homophobic if used in a derogatory fashion, but it's also been reclaimed by some members of the LGBT community. Similar to ****** when it's used by black rappers, comedians etc. Language is a complex thing.

More on the 'we're here and we're queer' slogan here.

As you say language and its usage can be complex.

In fact what can be an insult when used from one person to another can be viewed as showing a bond and affection if used by a different person to the same original person.

Archived