Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

You always ask for a source when i state anything,it would appear you can't believe anything i say without me having to prove i was telling the truth.

I ask many people for sources if they say something unsubstantiated. It's not personal.

Anyway here's one.

His arguments are as hollow and empty as any other against same-sex marriage. Marriage shouldn't be something that belongs only to straight people.

So who's damned business is it?

Whilst discrimination exists gay marriage is the business of the enlightened who want legal anachronisms and anomalies corrected in order to foster the equality that any society concerned with increasing civilisation must demand.

Once discrimination is eradicated each individual marriage will be the business of the couple concerned and their friends and family.

You are intolerant of intolerance.

Another loop de loop from the word master himself.

This generation will change it too. :)

How would my intolerance to your intolerance manifest its self?

To me if I was intolerant of your opinions then I would probably verbally abuse you or stop talking to you.

We have a different opinion on a subject which is perfectly normal, it’s not the end of the world so I’m not sure why some people get so emotional about it.

You previously claimed on this thread that people arguing against gay marriage are adding to a "culture of homophobia" in which people are attacked.

Considering your stance on here, you would admit then that your attitude towards people with different views has contributed to a culture in which MPs receive death threats for their views?

Yes, why not? There are extremists on every end of every spectrum.

But since death threats are illegal and homophobic hate incidents aren't, I'll carry on.

(And once more, because you just seem to keep on missing it - my issue isn't with people with 'different views'. People are entirely free, as I've said at least three or four times now, to hold whatever views they like. They are not free to broadcast actively harmful views without getting called out for what they are - bigots.)

How would my intolerance to your intolerance manifest its self?

I'm tolerant of your intolerance, thus I'm tolerant.

You're the one who said you "don’t tolerate intolerance", thus you're intolerant.

We can both play logic gymnastics. It's easy.

We have a different opinion on a subject

I thought you supported gay marriage.

We have the same opinion.

Another logical somersault.

Denial about what?

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 12:01 ----------

There’s nothing wrong in putting energy into that which you enjoy, I like debating, it keeps my mid active, I’m not here to change policy, if that was my aim I would stand as an MP.

This is the problem, some member think this is a place to change policy as opposed to a place to express ones opinion and have discussions.

Max, there is nothing wrong with enjoying debate as an intellectual exercise. However, adopting a stance which is effectively equivalent to being an apologist for intolerance contributes, in however small a way, to the legitimisation of that intolerance.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

What you are doing in this thread is worse than nothing.

I do not point this out as an attempt to abuse or insult but to suggest that, unless your goal is to legitimise intolerance your time and grey matter may well be more honourably employed elsewhere. Posters like Eastwood141 do not warrant support from the civilised.

I'd like to say I enjoy reading it, but alas ... t'is nonsense.

I don't even think you really do oppose it. You just like to reward yourself for gaining so much attention from us. :)

Then don't read it and you can think whatever you like, but you and your ilk won't bully me or intimidate me into leaving.

Then don't read it and you can think whatever you like, but you and your ilk won't bully me or intimidate me into leaving.

I am certainly not attempting to bully you or intimidate you into leaving.

However, you have made several comments questioning and/or belittling the intelligence of your fellow posters so claiming victim-hood is a little disingenuous.

Archived