Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Whilst discrimination exists gay marriage is the business of the enlightened who want legal anachronisms and anomalies corrected in order to foster the equality that any society concerned with increasing civilisation must demand.

Once discrimination is eradicated each individual marriage will be the business of the couple concerned and their friends and family.

Beautifully put sir.

The church has never claimed to be perfect to my knowledge.Hypocrisy exists in all walks of life its a human failing.

If someone called me a hypocrite for having any association with the church,i would say to them ... well yes i might be,are you ever hypocritical about anything or are you perfect?

Perfection isn't under discussion.

Surely, anyone having a valid opinion on the issue of gay marriage should take the beam out of their eye first?

If you were tolerant of my opinions and posts you wouldn't feel the need to ridicule them and would just accept I them as different opinions to yours.

You are on shaky ground when you claim tolerance but you yourself frequently indulge in ridiculing others. How many times have you alluded to other posters being stupid or unintelligent?

I know and although we disagree on many things you are able to remain civil.

What would you have me do when they ridicule and mock my posts just because they are unable to understand them. If they don’t understand what I type then they should ignore it or give me the opportunity to make it easier to understand.

What would I have you do?

Firstly not assume that others don't understand your posts because they disagree with them.

Secondly, not criticise posters for mocking and ridiculing when you yourself happily mock and ridicule others.

Again you demonstrate your stupidity.... Any one lacking a degree intelligence might form that opinion, but those with a more advanced mind won't come to the same conclusion.
Just two quick examples of what appears to be hypocrisy.

Thirdly, and this is really the most important, stop being an apologist for intolerance. The gay community deserves better than for you to intellectually amuse yourself with its right to equality. Max, it is not intolerant to challenge bigotry, it is a moral duty. Was Simon Wiesenthal intolerant. Martin Luther King? William Wilberforce? Frederick Douglas? Harvey Milk?

What would you have me do when they ridicule and mock my posts just because they are unable to understand them. If they don’t understand what I type then they should ignore it or give me the opportunity to make it easier to understand.

You've had ample opportunity.

Perhaps you're just an extremely poor communicator, or perhaps there's another reason.

You are on shaky ground when you claim tolerance but you yourself frequently indulge in ridiculing others. How many times have you alluded to other posters being stupid or unintelligent?

If they fail to understand what I type all I can do is offer to make it easier for them to understand.

Firstly not assume that others don't understand your posts because they disagree with them.

I don't assume they don't understand their reply says they don't understand.

Secondly, not criticise posters for mocking and ridiculing when you yourself happily mock and ridicule others. Just two quick examples of what appears to be hypocrisy.

The moderation team will not respond when I report a post for abuse or mockery, I know I should ignore it but it gets a bit tedious so I occasionally I respond in kind.

Thirdly, and this is really the most important, stop being an apologist for intolerance. The gay community deserves better than for you to intellectually amuse yourself with its right to equality. Max, it is not intolerant to challenge bigotry, it is a moral duty. Was Simon Wiesenthal intolerant. Martin Luther King? William Wilberforce? Frederick Douglas? Harvey Milk?

I haven't apologised for anyone’s intolerance, and what you think is bigoted I may not and what I think is bigoted you may not. To me the bigots are the posters that have abused and ridiculed the member that oppose gay marriage.

The members that oppose gay marriage haven’t ridiculed or mocked anyone and haven’t shown any intolerance towards anyone because of the opinion they hold.

I haven't apologised for anyone’s intolerance

You don't challenge it either, which amounts to the same thing.

To me the bigots are the posters that have abused and ridiculed the member that oppose gay marriage.

Abused? Can you provide quotes? Ridiculed? Possibly - people saying foolish things publically can expect people to point out that they're being foolish.

The moderation team will not respond when I report a post for abuse or mockery, I know I should ignore it but it gets a bit tedious so I occasionally I respond in kind.

So you are prepared to make contextual excuses for your own behaviour but not that of others. Don't tell me you are holding other posters to higher standards than you can manage yourself Max?

I haven't apologised for anyone’s intolerance, and what you think is bigoted I may not and what I think is bigoted you may not. To me the bigots are the posters that have abused and ridiculed the member that oppose gay marriage.

The members that oppose gay marriage haven’t ridiculed or mocked anyone and haven’t shown any intolerance towards anyone because of the opinion they hold.

You don't challenge it either, which amounts to the same thing.

Precisely Halibut. Thankfully what Max does or does not deem to be tolerant or bigoted is about as relevant as what Eastwood141 thinks should be illegal or what Buck and harestone think are appropriate pda's. Society appears to be moving in an enlightened direction that will hopefully soon forever consign such views to the same historical gutter as those of Byron de la Beckwith, Eugene Terre'Blanche, Oswald Mosley and others.

Precisely Halibut. Thankfully what Max does or does not deem to be tolerant or bigoted is about as relevant as what Eastwood141 thinks should be illegal or what Buck and harestone think are appropriate pda's. Society appears to be moving in an enlightened direction that will hopefully soon forever consign such views to the same historical gutter as those of Byron de la Beckwith, Eugene Terre'Blanche, Oswald Mosley and others.

There’s your error, you are working on the principle that your opinion is the only right opinion to hold and that anyone with a different opinion is irrelevant.

Perfection isn't under discussion.

Surely, anyone having a valid opinion on the issue of gay marriage should take the beam out of their eye first?

Active members within the church who are supporting gay marriage will no doubt seek to pursuade those opposed to change their views,but they if they have any sense they will attempt to do that by adapting an approach of understanding and listening to their reasons,and those opposed should do the same.

Lecturing those opposed and calling them bigots and hypocrites and people with no compassion or tolerance isn't the right way to go about doing that,and that applies to society in general not just the church.

There’s your error, you are working on the principle that your opinion is the only right opinion to hold and that anyone with a different opinion is irrelevant.[/quote

Change the record please Max. Nobody on this thread has ridiculed you as much as you have ridiculed yourself. Logic is a stranger to you and the deeper you dig the worse it makes you look.

Not trying to be nasty here, just helpful.

Archived