Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

OK. But at what point do you stop agreeing with their point of view and point out that their opinions are homophobic, offensive, and belong in the past?

There might be a point where you have to give up trying,and accept that you may never succeed with some of them.If you then choose to apply the homophobic label on them they may not agree with your definition of the term,especially if they associate homophobia with hate towards individuals.They might be gay themselves even,or they might be just people who are conservative,and are as you say"living in the past" perhaps because they have lived through a period where homosexuality was generally frowned upon in their culture,and because they have been conditioned they may have difficulty understanding homosexuality the way that the more informed younger generations have.If those are their reasons they may in time come to that point of changing that view,but not by force and pressure.

Or it may be just something to do with biblical scripture,i really don't know what everybody's reasons are,they are not posting on the thread representing themselves.

What about those opposed to gay marriage who are not religious and have no affiliation with a church what are their reasons i wonder,it can't be because they are wishing to be part of a majority,maybe they are feeling discriminated against now because they feel they are in a minority group and because of that they may feel restricted and reluctant to express their views,especially in posting on a thread where they know a clear majority will be against them, with some regarding them as being homophobic and offensive.

There might be a point where you have to give up trying,and accept that they you may never succeed with some of them.If you then choose to apply the homophobic label on them they may not agree with your definition of the term,especially if they associate homophobia with hate towards individuals.They might be gay themselves even,or they might be just people who are conservative,and are as you say"living in the past" perhaps because they have lived through a period where homosexuality was generally frowned upon in their culture,and because they have been conditioned they may have difficulty understanding homosexuality the way that the more informed younger generations have.If those are their reasons they may be in time come to that point of changing that view,but not by force and pressure.

Or it may be just something to do with biblical scripture,i really don't know what everybody's reasons are,they are not posting on the thread representing themselves.

What about those opposed to gay marriage who are not religious and have no affiliation with a church what are their reasons i wonder,it can't be because they are wishing to be part of a majority,maybe they are feeling descriminated against now because they feel they are in a minority group and because of that they may feel restricted and reluctant to express their views,especially in posting on a thread where they know a clear majority will be against them, with some regarding them as being homophobic and offensive.

Poor them. Except no one is denying them anything. They have every right to express their views and can do so freely. Those who think they're bigots and homophobes have every right to say so.

In my opinion the members that oppose gay marriage aren't intolerant of gay people, and haven't demonstrated an intolerance to anyone that supports gay marriage. However the members that support gay marriages have demonstrated intolerance to those members that oppose gay marriage, and I don’t apologise for their intolerance, I condemn it. Ridicule and abuse won’t change opinions but will silence some people that have a different opinion.

The last government were masters at silencing opposition buy ridiculing and name calling of anyone with an opposing opinion on immigration. Some on here are now doing the same with people that oppose gay marriage.

I'm one of the supporters of gay marriage but I respect your opinion and just because it's different to mine I don't think that automatically qualifies you as a homophobe or nazi. I must say I'm surprised at the vociferousness directed at you, but the OP is to blame for that for being deliberately confrontational and framing it in terms to imply that people such as yourself with a different opinion to the OP don't even deserve to be heard, and that has permeated right through the thread.

What about those opposed to gay marriage who are not religious and have no affiliation with a church what are their reasons i wonder,it can't be because they are wishing to be part of a majority,maybe they are feeling discriminated against now because they feel they are in a minority group and because of that they may feel restricted and reluctant to express their views,especially in posting on a thread where they know a clear majority will be against them, with some regarding them as being homophobic and offensive.

What about those who are opposed to gay marriage and ARE religious, does it say anywhere in the bible or other religious texts that loving people of the same sex shouldn't marry?

(again, I'm talking about marriage and not sex)

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 16:39 ----------

I'm one of the supporters of gay marriage but I respect your opinion and just because it's different to mine I don't think that automatically qualifies you as a homophobe or nazi. I must say I'm surprised at the vociferousness directed at you, but the OP is to blame for that for being deliberately confrontational and framing it in terms to imply that people such as yourself with a different opinion to the OP don't even deserve to be heard, and that has permeated right through the thread.

I think you have misunderstood the OP. The OP isn't asking if anyone thinks gay marriage is right or wrong, it is asking if it's any of our business.

I'm all for same sex marriage and although I'm a married heterosexual, I think anything that is;

1) To do with equal human rights

2) Being debated by our government

is my business, whether it matters to me or not.

What about those who are opposed to gay marriage and ARE religious, does it say anywhere in the bible or other religious texts that loving people of the same sex shouldn't marry?

(again, I'm talking about marriage and not sex)

No i don't think it does,i've never heard it mentioned,so i don't really know which part of the bible people opposed to same sex marriage take their reference from.

If you don't agree with gay marriage for whatever reason, you cannot get up and say so anywhere today, you run the risk of being pilloried, and verbally abused.

I saw a program on TV regarding this subject last week, there was a man trying to say why he didn't agree ( wether you agree or not) he's was treat very disrespectful by the presenters.

Surely he had a right to an opinion?

If you don't agree with gay marriage for whatever reason, you cannot get up and say so anywhere today, you run the risk of being pilloried, and verbally abused.

I saw a program on TV regarding this subject last week, there was a man trying to say why he didn't agree ( wether you agree or not) he's was treat very disrespectful by the presenters.

Nobody is saying that he, or anybody else for that matter, shouldn't have an opinion. It's just that the opinion shouldn't be beyond criticism.

Poor them. Except no one is denying them anything. They have every right to express their views and can do so freely. Those who think they're bigots and homophobes have every right to say so.

And those who object to them saying so have that right too,

Of course, but that must work both ways don't you think? They should be prepared for others to have an opinion on their opinion, and to tell them.

If they don't like what people think about their opinion then perhaps the smart ones will think to themselves "hmm, maybe its me that's wrong, should I change my opinion?"

Archived