Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Nobody is saying that he, or anybody else for that matter, shouldn't have an opinion. It's just that the opinion shouldn't be beyond criticism.[/

From what I've seen or heard of people's reaction to anyone disagreeing on this subject it's gone beyond criticism...

What I've seen and watched has been borderline bullying, ridiculing, and dislike if they don't agree....

From what I've seen or heard of people's reaction to anyone disagreeing on this subject it's gone beyond criticism...

What I've seen and watched has been borderline bullying, ridiculing, and dislike if they don't agree....

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of the bullying, ridiculing of the people that don't agree with same sex marriages?

Of course, but that must work both ways don't you think? They should be prepared for others to have an opinion on their opinion, and to tell them.

If they don't like what people think about their opinion then perhaps the smart ones will think to themselves "hmm, maybe its me that's wrong, should I change my opinion?"

Hmm, right, if you want to be considered smart agree with them...ok!

I always try and refrain from using language that is insulting in debate, but I am not naive enough to think that insulting language belongs to any one side whether I agree with that side or not. Some people just use insulting language irrespective of the point of view, it's not the point of view that dictates this.

It's just the same in this debate, and you can only see it aimed at your position.

Don't you think that claims that supporters of same-sex manner are "Orwellian", or that two men kissing is disgusting, is bullying? I find such language quite disgusting to be honest.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 17:41 ----------

Do you remember the reaction to Nick Clegg when he called those opposed to gay marriage bigots?

He was photographed entering a church to attend mass with his wife,a reporter called him an atheist hypocrite.Sometimes your remarks can backfire on you if you are not careful.

What an odd thing for the reporter to say.

Am I a hypocrite if I go to see a musical I hate with my wife, was she a hypocrite when she went with me to watch a football match when she hates football?

Nick Clegg's wife is a Catholic, whilst he is not, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't chose to be with his family when they go.

:huh:

What about those who are opposed to gay marriage and ARE religious, does it say anywhere in the bible or other religious texts that loving people of the same sex shouldn't marry?

(again, I'm talking about marriage and not sex)

Being gay isn’t a sin, but sex with someone of the same sex is, clergy can be gay but they only become sinners if they have sex with someone of the same sex, marriage isn't complete until it's consummated by having sex, which is why the church disapproves of gay marriage.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 18:32 ----------

Of course, but that must work both ways don't you think? They should be prepared for others to have an opinion on their opinion, and to tell them.

If they don't like what people think about their opinion then perhaps the smart ones will think to themselves "hmm, maybe its me that's wrong, should I change my opinion?"

Or maybe they will just think you aren’t worth bothering with and stop telling you what their opinion is.

Being gay isn’t a sin, but sex with someone of the same sex is, clergy can be gay but they only become sinners if they have sex with someone of the same sex, marriage isn't complete until it's consummated by having sex, which is why the church disapproves of gay marriage.

A sin eh?

And there's me thinking God is love...

Nobody is saying that he, or anybody else for that matter, shouldn't have an opinion. It's just that the opinion shouldn't be beyond criticism.[/

I couldn't agree more.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 18:32 ----------

Or maybe they will just think you aren’t worth bothering with and stop telling you what their opinion is.

Re my bold.

I've got deja mu...a feeling I've heard this bull before!

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 18:37 ----------

I couldn't agree more.

The poster you replied to was invited to quote actual instances and has yet to respond. I invite you now to do the same. :)

I couldn't agree more.

Coming just after you said that two people having sex is a sin.

Claiming something is a sin, something that makes somebody else happy, creates no harm, and effects you or anybody else in no way whatsoever, is bullying tactics. I also think it's cowardice to play the "sin" card in this manner.

You apply your own rules to yourself if you want to, but to imagine you can apply them to others is bullying.

Being gay isn’t a sin, but sex with someone of the same sex is, clergy can be gay but they only become sinners if they have sex with someone of the same sex, marriage isn't complete until it's consummated by having sex, which is why the church disapproves of gay marriage

Can you show me the rule which states that marriage isn't complete until the couple have sex?

I've heard plenty of priests pronounce people man and wife without any sex involved.

Archived