Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Wonders how relevant the following is..

"Internalised Homophobia- This type of homophobia includes the uncomfortable attitude towards self due to the guilt feeling or fear associated to homosexuality of oneself. It is due to the conscious or unconscious efforts on the part of homosexuals to conform to the sexual norms and heterosexuality of community. It is coupled with severe suppression of their own sexuality, denial and false display of heterosexual behavior".

It could be said that those showing distinct homophobic leanings should be sympathized with rather than questioned..after all you could be debating with a homosexual with internalised issues.

The King James Version of the Bible states: "If a man also lie with mankind, as hee lyeth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination ...."

... but of course, I could not possibly comment! :huh:

Here’s chapter and verse on a more-or-less comprehensive list of things banned in the Leviticus book of the bible. A decent number of them are punishable by death.

Unless you’ve never done any of them (and 54 to 56 are particularly tricky), perhaps it’s time to lay off quoting 18:22 for a while?

1. Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11)

2. Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)

3. Eating fat (3:17)

4. Eating blood (3:17)

5. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve witnessed (5:1)

6. Failing to testify against any wrongdoing you’ve been told about (5:1)

7. Touching an unclean animal (5:2)

8. Carelessly making an oath (5:4)

9. Deceiving a neighbour about something trusted to them (6:2)

10. Finding lost property and lying about it (6:3)

11. Bringing unauthorised fire before God (10:1)

12. Letting your hair become unkempt (10:6)

13. Tearing your clothes (10:6)

14. Drinking alcohol in holy places (bit of a problem for Catholics, this ‘un) (10:9)

15. Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (cf: camel, rabbit, pig) (11:4-7)

16. Touching the carcass of any of the above (problems here for rugby) (11:8)

17. Eating – or touching the carcass of – any seafood without fins or scales (11:10-12)

18. Eating – or touching the carcass of - eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (11:13-19)

19. Eating – or touching the carcass of – flying insects with four legs, unless those legs are jointed (11:20-22)

20. Eating any animal which walks on all four and has paws (good news for cats) (11:27)

21. Eating – or touching the carcass of – the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon (11:29)

22. Eating – or touching the carcass of – any creature which crawls on many legs, or its belly (11:41-42)

23. Going to church within 33 days after giving birth to a boy (12:4)

24. Going to church within 66 days after giving birth to a girl (12:5)

25. Having sex with your mother (18:7)

26. Having sex with your father’s wife (18:8)

27. Having sex with your sister (18:9)

28. Having sex with your granddaughter (18:10)

29. Having sex with your half-sister (18:11)

30. Having sex with your biological aunt (18:12-13)

31. Having sex with your uncle’s wife (18:14)

32. Having sex with your daughter-in-law (18:15)

33. Having sex with your sister-in-law (18:16)

34. Having sex with a woman and also having sex with her daughter or granddaughter (bad news for Alan Clark) (18:17)

35. Marrying your wife’s sister while your wife still lives (18:18)

36. Having sex with a woman during her period (18:19)

37. Having sex with your neighbour’s wife (18:20)

38. Giving your children to be sacrificed to Molek (18:21)

39. Having sex with a man “as one does with a woman” (18:22)

40. Having sex with an animal (18:23)

41. Making idols or “metal gods” (19:4)

42. Reaping to the very edges of a field (19:9)

43. Picking up grapes that have fallen in your vineyard (19:10)

44. Stealing (19:11)

45. Lying (19:11)

46. Swearing falsely on God’s name (19:12)

47. Defrauding your neighbour (19:13)

48. Holding back the wages of an employee overnight (not well observed these days) (19:13)

49. Cursing the deaf or abusing the blind (19:14)

50. Perverting justice, showing partiality to either the poor or the rich (19:15)

51. Spreading slander (19:16)

52. Doing anything to endanger a neighbour’s life (19:16)

53. Seeking revenge or bearing a grudge (19:18)

54. Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19)

55. Cross-breeding animals (19:19)

56. Planting different seeds in the same field (19:19)

57. Sleeping with another man’s slave (19:20)

58. Eating fruit from a tree within four years of planting it (19:23)

59. Practising divination or seeking omens (tut, tut astrology) (19:26)

60. Trimming your beard (19:27)

61. Cutting your hair at the sides (19:27)

62. Getting tattoos (19:28)

63. Making your daughter prostitute herself (19:29)

64. Turning to mediums or spiritualists (19:31)

65. Not standing in the presence of the elderly (19:32)

66. Mistreating foreigners – “the foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born” (19:33-34)

67. Using dishonest weights and scales (19:35-36)

68. Cursing your father or mother (punishable by death) (20:9)

69. Marrying a prostitute, divorcee or widow if you are a priest (21:7,13)

70. Entering a place where there’s a dead body as a priest (21:11)

71. Slaughtering a cow/sheep and its young on the same day (22:28)

72. Working on the Sabbath (23:3)

73. Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)

74. Inflicting an injury; killing someone else’s animal; killing a person must be punished in kind (24:17-22)

75. Selling land permanently (25:23)

76. Selling an Israelite as a slave (foreigners are fine) (25:42)

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=things+forbidden+in+leviticus&oq=things+forbidde&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l10.1099.6150.1.9164.15.8.0.7.7.0.154.919.2j6.8.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.2.hp.8Wz0uEApmDg&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.d2k&fp=15190511c3d0bdbe&biw=1280&bih=687

I assume you follow them all religiously.

I hope that puts the scriptural line of oppression in context. Some are sensible, others are nonsense and utterly anachronistic in a modern and enlightened society.

Just like the fact that a white person and a black person are different, so they have different seats.

A white person and black person are equal, and the seats are just as comfy, but different so the seats are in different places.

Different but equal, different but equal, yada yada yada.

There is no comparison that can logically made between the 2 groups.

A man is a man regardless of colour.

A woman is a woman regardless of colour.

A man is never a woman.

A woman is never a man.

I don't know I don't know him.

However the Buddhist scriptures (the Pali canon which are my holy 'books' are 11 times longer than the Bible and there are Mahayana scriptures too so plenty to go at) don't condemn homosexuality once.

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 11:47 ----------

That's not entirely accurate. what the article fails to mention is that except on full and half moon days those prescriptions apply only to monks. Nowhere in the scriptures does it explicitly deny anal sex for lay followers (except on afore mentioned days)

Thanks. That is in fact the meaning I took. :)

And your position has been effectively and politely debated by posters pointing out that the nature, definition and parameters of marriage has/have changed considerably over the millennia to reflect both the pragmatic needs and philosophical of society. Why shouldn't that evolution continue?

As I explained.

I don't expect many posters on here to agree with me but would hope they will consider my reasons.

I posted as a reply to a viewpoint that another poster had expressed and which I thought needed addressing.

The King James Version of the Bible states: "If a man also lie with mankind, as hee lyeth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination ...."

... but of course, I could not possibly comment! :huh:

Three issues here, getting married does not mean you have to have sex. There are plenty of couples (homosexual and heterosexual) who abstain from sex.

Then there is the Bible itself, do you take the words litterally? If so, how does a man LIE with a woman- back to back, pulling the covers from each other?

Or do you interpret the words to mean something else? As usual, the main problem with tue Bible is that it can interpretted to suit individual agendas.

On person may interpret it to mean no sex between men at all while another could interpret it to mean no sex between men in the same way that a man and woman usually would (which is anatomically impossible).

Then there's the cherry picking issue. Much of what the Bible speaks against is disregarded or glossed over these days, to "move with the times". Why shouldn't we disregard this?

There is no comparison that can logically made between the 2 groups.

A man is a man regardless of colour.

A woman is a woman regardless of colour.

A man is never a woman.

A woman is never a man.

They are exactly and logically comparable.

A white person is white irrespective of sex.

A black person is black irrespective of sex.

A white person is never black.

A black person is never white.

Different but equal.

If homosexuals wanted their union to be termed a marriage why did they accept the term civil partnership and why did some couples partake happily of this union ? If there weren't civil partnerships I would agree that there was discrimination.

Possibly because gay marriage wasn't an option back then, so they took what was available?

Do you really see anyone on this thread who believes (for whatever reason) that two gay people shouldn't be married who have been addressed in such a way that they have become the victims of abuse, or hatred, or discrimination?

I haven't, and I am more in favour of people retaining religious freedom on here than many.

Merely being challenged is in no way the same as being discriminated against.

I have seen posts where people have felt they were being restricted from passing opposing comments to the majority because they felt they were being challanged with abusive attacks,and thats what i was referring to.This became apparent to me when i read Mrs Overall's post which brought to my attension that some people are perceiving remarks to be bullying.Thats why i quoted a part of your post where you pointed out the "cry bully" remark.

I certainly don't think there is any sign of hatred from anyone as i stated on post 729 where i was myself challanging the comments SavannahP made.

It isn't only people who are religious who are opposed to same sex marriage in churches,but because the thread is focusing on the religious issue,others will probably regard a difference of opinion as a perception that they are homophobic,and for that reason they will be put off posting or continuing to post as some have ,because no one wants to be identified as homophobic when it isn't deserved.

Archived