Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Not uniquely. There is also an element of irrationality about a phobia, and fear.

For example; being scared of a dangerous spider is sensible, because it can cause harm. Being scared of all spiders, regardless of what harm they cause, is irrational, and is thus arachnophobia.

If you have lived through a time when homosexuality in society was wrongly considered to be abnormal through lack of understanding (which wasn't really all that long ago) yes that would likely introduce feelings of blind prejudice into some people,without necessarily causing them to feel fear and hatred,or to desire to see any punishment or injury inflicted on them.

Its easier to adopt a different attitude when you have worked along side gay people,mixed with them socially regarded some of them as your closest friends and so on,but some people havn't been in that position,and may still have conditioned feelings they have developed from that past period in the culture,that doesn't necessarily have to mean they are bad people,which many gay people acknowledge also.

The King James Version of the Bible states: "If a man also lie with mankind, as hee lyeth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination ...."

... but of course, I could not possibly comment! :huh:

So what? The bible says all sorts of stupid nonsense that the vast majority of Christians ignore/pretend it doesn't say/kid themselves about.

It doesn't mean that they can't be described (accurately) as homophobic though. It just means that their homophobia is learned and has never been positively challenged.

They're are ways of challenging though without resorting to calling them homophobic,when to many people that term is associated with creating suffering and in the worst instance violence and murder,which anyone with any standard of decency would be the first to condemn and protest against.

They're are ways of challenging though without resorting to calling them homophobic,when to many people that term is associated with creating suffering and in the worst instance violence and murder,which anyone with any standard of decency would be the first to condemn and protest against.

Anyone with a "standard of decency" would condemn homophobia first in order for the additional wrong of murder and violence to take place. It's a bit like saying homophobia is ok as long as you don't use violence.

Interesting interpretation.

He seems to be saying live and let live to me.

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 11:53 ----------

Oh here we go...

Yes for others but not for his followers ...Nimby

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 14:12 ----------

Iv no opinion either for or against gay marriage but I suppose to some it would tend to destroy the sanctity of marriage even though these days that institution seems to get weaker and less of a necessity

I would say if the cap fits wear it. Homophobic is what it is!

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 14:18 ----------

Yes for others but not for his followers ...Nimby

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 14:12 ----------

Iv no opinion either for or against gay marriage but I suppose to some it would tend to destroy the sanctity of marriage even though these days that institution seems to get weaker and less of a necessity

For the "priesthood" actually.

Re my bold...has it really ever been a necessity?

Anyone with a "standard of decency" would condemn homophobia first in order for the additional wrong of murder and violence to take place. It's a bit like saying homophobia is ok as long as you don't use violence.

Oh really, well how would you define homophobia then?

Archived