Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Here are some examples of homophobia, explicit or implicit, all taken from this thread.

no it isnt any of my business and i dont really care! but i do think its another round of attention seeking in some respects, to normalise and mainstream "being gay", if i was that way inclined i would be tempted to just get on with my life and enjoy it instead of this big statement! they have civil partnerships and good luck to them but why "marriage"

I'm not religious in the slightest, but i do think same sex marriage is an abomination, Guess that makes me a narrow minded bigot. :hihi:

I have absolutely no problem with same sex couples, though on the other hand i'd be very uncomfortable sitting in the same room with two men showing their affection for each other.

Some regard the acceptance of gay marriage as a lowering of our standards and/or morality.

Well same sex marriage will happen and i wouldn't actively protest against it but i'm a traditional kind of guy who believes marriage should be between a man and a woman, fair enough if gay couples want to do their thing but i don't think it should be accepted as the norm and given the status of a "real" marriage, it demeans the most sacred vow a coupe can make to each other, in my opinion of course.

is it any of my damned business ? of course it is these are decisions that effect everybody in society

the way society is rapidly going down hill its the thin end of the wedge.

[...] If the basis of gay marriage is "consenting adults" why isn't incest legal yet? What about polygamy?if [...] What if poeople argued against homosexuality because of AIDS/HIV?

I have no problem with gays having equal rights, but it is not marriage. I'm sorry but I would not go to the ceremony. Waching men kiss each other on the lips turns my stomach.

That's not exhaustive - I got bored, and depressed, by about halfway through the thread. Also worth noting that those are the posts that have been allowed to remain up. Several that were much worse were removed.

And here's an example of sexism, while I'm at it.

If two guys get married, and then get divorced, who gets the house, and who gets the Corvette? In a real marriage between a man and a woman, the woman gets both, and he gets a bedsitter.:)

Harvey used a circular argument that went:

Same-sex couples don't marry.

Thus same-sex couples shouldn't marry.

Different but equal.

He also had a back-up plan of:

Same-sex couples don't make children.

Thus same-sex couples don't marry.

Thus same-sex couples shouldn't marry.

Different but equal.

It was a tautology, but he liked it and stuck it out. Starts in the middle of this joyful reading, if you want to search it out. [source].

I gave clear explanations as I have done on this thread.

You may not agree but that is why we are debating the issue.

After reading all the posts on here I have not found any which make me doubt my viewpoint. I am dealing in fact and not emotion.

You seem like someone who has given this a lot of thought; in the interests of useful discourse can I ask you

a) How you regard homosexuals generally and

b) what your thoughts are on gay marriage?

I do not know many, but the people that I know to be homosexual are good people, I don’t judge them because that is a judgment for God to make.

I disapprove of gay marriage because the act of having sex with someone of the same sex is a sin and marriage leads to sex.

I haven’t tried to deprive people of equality, I have just given the reason I don’t support gay marriage, I don’t support it because it is my belief that it is a sin, just like other sins that I don’t support. I don’t intend to do anything to stop them getting married because it is not my place to judge them, I will leave that to God.

You are welcome to believe what you want. :)

The fact is that your belief is homophobic!

You have ample opportunity to convince me I'm wrong.

I would still like you to point out specific posts that you consider to have been abusive to people who side with you on this subject.

I do not know many, but the people that I know to be homosexual are good people, I don’t judge them because that is a judgment for God to make.

I disapprove of gay marriage because the act of having sex with someone of the same sex is a sin and marriage leads to sex.

Hilarious. Marriage leads to sex? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

The general definition of homophobia isn't a concept created by me..that's not to say I disagree with the general definition. Or was the question a trick one?

No it wasn't a trick question,it was meant to express that homophobia is defined differently by different individuals,and that its references point to a category of a wide range of intensions and causes.

Archived