Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

Exactly, there is no need at all to differentiate at all and if, in doing so, a group is denied the right to marry in exactly the same way as the majority then that differentiation is ripe for eradication.

There is a practical purpose in differentiating between barbers and hairdressers as they have different skills sets, experience and equipment and market themselves to different clientèle (at least this used to be the case when I was a kid and as I haven't set foot in either for a good twenty years I can't be sure it is still the case).

Yes, people do indeed differentiate between gender, colour and sexuality all the time and if that differentiation is discriminatory then it should be challenged hence the existence of many of the institutions you point out.

And whilst I personally don’t see a need to differentiate, I would only challenge it if I thought it was unfair, harmful or detrimental, but I don’t.

What's that supposed to mean?

Well, I never knew that such an organisation as Gay Muslims exists, but MrSmith seems to know about all these groups so I guess that he's just a bit shy at joining. Most groups tend to be friendly towards the people that they have set up to serve, so he should give them a call and meet up with a few like-minded souls.

Well, I never knew that such an organisation as Gay Muslims exists, but MrSmith seems to know about all these groups so I guess that he's just a bit shy at joining. Most groups tend to be friendly towards the people that they have set up to serve, so he should give them a call and meet up with a few like-minded souls.

The kind of comment I have recieved many times myself from homophobes when I defend homosexuality or equal rights.

It appears that after much whining from Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus and others about abuse and insults, you've given them what they wanted. Disappointing Tony.

In all seriousness I've not been watching his posts that closely, and in any case, there is nothing to be ashamed about being involved in those groups, so it's not remotely insulting or abusive.

If it holds up a mirror to show how ridiculous such an assertion would be then that's fine by me, but it's not abuse by a long chalk. If somebody thinks it is, they are far more sensitive than people who feels the need to set up a Sikh LGBT society.

An insult would be to say that MrSmith was a racist homophobe, not that he had sympathy with gay Muslims. :)

I'm still curious to know if those that think we need a different word for a same-sex marriage when it refers to a wedding also think we need different words for marriage to identify the participants in other types of marriages too?

In a corporate marriage, do we need different words to identify the sexuality of the boards of directors?

I might comment on a Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber musical and say it was the perfect marriage of music and lyrics, should I use another word if the musical was by Tim Rice and Elton John? I thought Aida was the perfect civil partnership between music and lyrics?

How about a marriage of ideas? Do we need to know the sexuality of the people who had the ideas?

Perhaps the opponents to same-sex marriage would be happy to use the commonly used word to explain the intimate union between two same-sex people if we can identify their sexuality in another way? A yellow badge perhaps?

In all seriousness I've not been watching his posts that closely, and in any case, there is nothing to be ashamed about being involved in those groups, so it's not remotely insulting or abusive.

If it holds up a mirror to show how ridiculous such an assertion would be then that's fine by me, but it's not abuse by a long chalk. If somebody thinks it is, they are far more sensitive than people who feels the need to set up a Sikh LGBT society.

An insult would be to say that MrSmith was a racist homophobe, not that he had sympathy with gay Muslims. :)

It was quite obvious you meant it as an insult/mockery. Please don't play Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus's game of trying to shrug innocently do the context gymnastics thing, it will make you as bad as him.

Archived