Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

The kind of comment I have recieved many times myself from homophobes when I defend homosexuality or equal rights.

It appears that after much whining from Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus and others about abuse and insults, you've given them what they wanted. Disappointing Tony.

Come on RootsBooster its permeated all the way through the topic. Here from page one, (God-botherers,)( narrow-minded bigot,) is there any wonder people are reluctant to offer their opinions. Not saying it’s you or tony but these are the kind of comments that will put many people off posting on topics such as this.

An extremely poor and transparent attempt at distraction from the discussion at hand :roll:

I don't know, I've yet to see that happen, so far any "reasons" given by those who are against gay marriage have been met with much resistance when anyone tries to discuss them (see above)

What makes you think that? Have I judged anyone as being homophobic on this thread? Can you show me a post in which this has happened, or where I have implied it? Please don't make the mistake of assuming that me explaining the technicalities of a definition is the same as me passing judgement.

Back to the discussion at hand, is any of the following is wrong? And if so, please clarify your position...

-Your argument is that gay couples shouldn't marry because they are biologically different to straight couples, but the comparison of blacks and whites is invalid

-Straights are different because they can reproduce

-By your own admission, reproduction is irrelevant to to the subject of marriage, it's just a difference between gays and straights

-The comparison of blacks and whites being biologically different (and the historic effects of this) is invalid, because a black man and a black woman can reproduce, even though reproduction is irrelevant to to the subject of marriage, it's just a difference between gays and straights

Is that right?

I think you have grasped the point, equal but different.

I think you have grasped the point, equal but different.

Is there anything in what I wrote which is incorrect?

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:01 ----------

I'm very plain in what I write, there's no hidden meanings - please don't insult my intelligence either. ;)

So after all of Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus' posts on this thread, you think he is probably a gay Muslim or Sikh?

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:06 ----------

Come on RootsBooster its permeated all the way through the topic. Here from page one, (God-botherers,)( narrow-minded bigot,) is there any wonder people are reluctant to offer their opinions. Not saying it’s you or tony but these are the kind of comments that will put many people off posting on topics such as this.

At the beginning of the thread, yes, there were the usual insults from the post-and-run crowd on both sides, who don't tend to stick around for discussion.

However, the previous portion of this thread was dominated by yourself and others bleating that nobody against gay marriage can voice there opinion without being insulted, which is untrue. Until now.

Is there anything in what I wrote which is incorrect?

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:01 ----------

So after all of Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus' posts on this thread, you think he is probably a gay Muslim or Sikh?

If you read my posts you would see that it was the ability to reproduce(and please don't start using the medically exempt or old to rubbish my point) that created the difference between a hetrosexual and homosexual couple.

Regarding homophobia you imply that disagreeing with your viewpoint and others holding the same views could be based on this.

And no I will not trawl through the thread to find examples.

Maybe you could state that you do not consider it homophobic to disagree with same sex marriage when reasons are given.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:18 ----------

No one seems to be intersted in the knock on effect if same sex marriage is made legal.

At present it s stated that certain religious bodies will not have to perform these ceremonies if they disagree with it.

Is this discrimination where a couple are denied the right to marry by certain churches ?

When this is challenged at the European Court and all churches are forced to carry out same sex marriages will the government have achieved its long term aims and are able to say it was never their intention but they have been over ruled in the matter and will ave avoided directly laying down religious policy ?

At the beginning of the thread, yes, there were the usual insults from the post-and-run crowd on both sides, who don't tend to stick around for discussion.

However, the previous portion of this thread was dominated by yourself and others bleating that nobody against gay marriage can voice there opinion without being insulted, which is untrue. Until now.

You can't see the wood for the trees.

Here I randomly selected page 11

(makes you an ignorant homophobe, )( you are also a bigot.( Please close my account mods.) This was because of the insults this member had to endure,( Stop being such a drama queen.)

The comment neatly summarises what I think about your views.

If you think it is below contempt then good, the penny might drop eventually.

Comparing the treatment of Jews in the Hitler years and views on same sex marriage is irrational and frightening that you can draw such comparisons.

You may not agree with my views and that is your perogative.

Comparing the treatment of Jews in the Hitler years and views on same sex marriage is irrational and frightening that you can draw such comparisons.

You may not agree with my views and that is your perogative.

Make it a pink badge then.

The fact is that you want to mark out a group of people as "different", the defence that it is "equal but different" is pathetic.

It might not be you that wants to actively discriminate, but once a group has been differentiated in the manner you suggest, it enables those that do.

Archived