Gay marriage - is it any of your damned business?

Is it any of my business?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Is it any of my business?

We will have to agree to disagree because I was brought up to be polite no matter what I thought of someone.

Another cop-out!

There is nothing impolite in putting someone right.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 16:20 ----------

I listened to the whole programne until it cut out a minute or so into the relevant interview !!!!!

Try again from the 30 minute mark. That's the part that refers to Denmark. :)

Homophobia, like all insidious discriminatory behaviour, has no place in a civilised society. It is the moral duty of those who consider themselves civilised or at least to be striving towards it to challenge it. In order to challenge it effectively it is necessary to identify it.

To classify is not to insult. To challenge discrimination is not a negative and insulting act it is the positive affirmation of tolerance and diversity.

I've heard religious leaders and politicians say much the same thing,and i applaud it,but they are probably the ones who don't support gay marriage,how do you explain that? probably by describing them as hypocrites i suppose?

I've heard religious leaders and politicians say much the same thing,and i applaud it,but they are probably the ones who don't support gay marriage,how do you explain that? probably by describing them as hypocrites i suppose?

Well, that would depend on the individual case and I'd have to look closely at the positions taken and rhetoric used. I imagine, however, if the situation proved exactly as you describe then the word hypocrite may well be apposite, yes.

It is not scoring points and it is not unfair. If the possibility of procreation is essential to the definition and validity of marriage in your opinion then the absolute nature of your rule should apply to all. It is hypocritical to exclude those who cannot have children from your absolute rule because you feel sorry for them. If one the reasons that gay marriage is unpalatable to you is that there is no possibility of procreation then the marriage of a heterosexual couple who cannot have children should, in logical and reasonable terms, be equally unacceptable and invalid.

The possibility of procreation argument is likely to become untenable at some point due to advances in science. Stem cells can already be used to produce many different types of tissue, what happens when someone figures out how to produce a sperm or an egg? (Being able to fertilise an egg using material produced from stem cells is even more likely.) If we allow different sex couples to benefit from the likes of IVF and surrogate mothers, why not couples (same sex or otherwise) to benefit from stem cell derived fertilisation?

The possibility of procreation argument is likely to become untenable at some point due to advances in science. Stem cells can already be used to produce many different types of tissue, what happens when someone figures out how to produce a sperm or an egg? (Being able to fertilise an egg using material produced from stem cells is even more likely.) If we allow different sex couples to benefit from the likes of IVF and surrogate mothers, why not couples (same sex or otherwise) to benefit from stem cell derived fertilisation?

Interesting stuff indeed. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...

Archived