The world at war: now showing on sky tv

Yes it was one of the greatest war series ever produced it was made nearly 40 years ago and has been on TV many times,I don't know how old you are but you really need to study more about the second world war before you state a comment like that, millions of people died in that war and there is a lot more to it than you think and unlike the first world war it is within living memory.

I agree. I watched this series as a teenager, and was hooked by it. I think because I was born just after WW 2 and it was still a big topic of conversation when I was a child.

Its good, I feel, because of the interviews with people who were directly affected and played a part in the war - and not presented by a single presenter, as a series made today would be.

I think it is an outstanding piece of TV.

Actually, the only episode I wasn't allowed to watch, at the time, was the one on the Holocaust. My parents thought it was to much. I was only about 14 at the time. I have watched it since though and it truely brings over the awful reality of the death camps.

It should be viewed in schools, this series, I think.

You know what the World at War was missing ? Reenactments. Great big high budget reenactments because as a layman I am incapable of using my imagination. God I hate the modern documentary....

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 12:59 ----------

Yes and Laurence Oliviers fantastic narration and outstanding theme music made it one of the most memorable war series ever broadcast.

my favorite is the one episode that starts with the Olivier narrated opening about 7 Japanese war criminals hanged after the war. His narration overlays sounds of chanting and gong noises as the 7 souls are prayed for and then gives way to the main theme tune.

You know what the World at War was missing ? Reenactments. Great big high budget reenactments because as a layman I am incapable of using my imagination. God I hate the modern documentary....

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 12:59 ----------

my favorite is the one episode that starts with the Olivier narrated opening about 7 Japanese war criminals hanged after the war. His narration overlays sounds of chanting and gong noises as the 7 souls are prayed for and then gives way to the main theme tune.

A few on here have said that the program was very more British than anything but I think one of the best parts were showing how the Americans fought on the pacific islands they fought like mad for some nondescript desert Island and died in their thousands, a part of the war that we here have over looked a lot, the Japs were Savage opponents and fought to the last man, every island was took with the blood of these brave young American lads.

lets not forget the many brave Germans who died horrendously opposing the regime,even their top abwehr man was feeding information to Britain ,many top generals saw what was happening to their country and wanted to be rid of Hitler.the regime was corrupt and run by gangsters and egotist out to line their own pockets.The times were terrible for any ordinary German,you dare not speak for fear of being denounced and sent to a concentration camp even your family could not be trusted to keep a comment secret.How do you think the ordinary German felt when they saw their friends who they had lived among for generations being carted off to the camps just because they were not deemed suitable ie jewish etc. and they were helpless to intervene although many risked their lives doing so.No i wouldnt want a europe or britain like that.The right side definitely won in my opinion onyhow.

Britain declared war on Germany, up until then there was no World War.

Germany started the war by invading Poland. Even Basil Fawlty knows more about the war than you do. Hitler knew that both Britain and France had declared in March 1939 they would declare war on Germany should Hitler invade Poland. So Hitler started the war despite what far right sympathisers like you think.

I still haven't seen a proper television documentary about all the countries that were neutral in WW2. Ireland is obviously the first one up if you're British, but there were plenty of others. Spain. Portugal. Switzerland. Sweden. Turkey.

i think you mean gordan le kaye with the tree stuck through his windscreen :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 18:03 ----------

yes i know millions of people died it happens in wars unfortunatley (i'm 50 btw)......but had Britain not gone to war with hitler i truly belive England,britain,and europe would now be a more peacefull and better place to live...

Unless of course you were, Jewish, disabled or just frankly didn't agree with the government at which point you'd get sent on a state sanctioned camping trip.

You've got to be either a moron or trolling i you genuinely believe it would have been better if the Germans had won WWII.

Either way you're clearly an arse

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 18:01 ----------

My personal opinion on both of the wars is we did not need to get involved in the first place, we were not threatened directly in any of the two wars, millions of our brave lads gave their lives up for very little in the first world war, and the second war was a continuation of that war,Im sure if we had been out of it we would have been dealing with the Germans as just another trading partner but Hitler was a megalomaniac and I don't think it would have been long before he decided to have a go at us.

So we would have had to fight him anyway. You've justified the reason for us being involved while arguing why we shoudn't have been

look at it now.....it couldn't have been worse

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 17:55 ----------

i'm just stating my opinions on watching a tv series.......Germany wanted a united europe,everyone employed and working for a living and singing from the same song sheet....not exactly happening at the moment is it.....

There's a sign over the gates of Auschwitz that says "Arbeit macht frei" Which in English means "work will bring you freedom"

Thousands and thousands went through those gates on their way to the gas chambers if they were old, just kids or infirm. Those who were fit to work were worked to death and lasted no more than three months at most.

You will see an episode dealing with the transportation to the east of millions of people destined for these death camps.

My father spent five long hard years in the British Army fighting a regime that carried out such atrocities. You are not only an insult to his memory but a brainless nit wit as well

Germany started the war by invading Poland. Even Basil Fawlty knows more about the war than you do. Hitler knew that both Britain and France had declared in March 1939 they would declare war on Germany should Hitler invade Poland. So Hitler started the war despite what far right sympathisers like you think.

Then perhaps you can point to a speech where he declared war on Britain,

we know the cause of the war history tells that,

Neville Chamberlain who said we are at war with Germany, on our behalf, was the starter.

Stop listening to Basil Fawlty he makes you look intelligent.

Archived