Victoria pub on Penistone Road

jackmarr

I used to do the Mansfield run for Newboulds, Vin Kenny used to be gone by the time I clocked in, always took a couple of trays of bread off my wagon first though, be around 1968, Kev Coupland, Cyril ? was a supervisor. I think my van was journey 41

Hi merrylad would the supervisor be Cyril Sully or Solly big bloke with black hair his sidekick was Dennis Goodson my supervisor,he thought the sidecupboard on my wagon was his private supply I caught him out more than once!.Do you remember Gordon Shaw the shop steward who brought us out on strike Mr Bolshie or what?,well he had an about face later in life he was my boss as the transport manager at Fletchers and a right illegit he was!.I was one of the driver-salesmen who came from the Don Bakery after Sunblest bought them out,I ended up getting sacked by Mr Bowers for taking an extra weeks holiday,my fault for being clever, young and foolish!.:roll::confused::(

The Vic, Royal and Rose Inn were always called in on our way up to Wednesday home games. Used to go up regularly on friday nights starting in Rose across to Cambridge to see Brian Firth the landlord then carry on up to pubs around Bradfield Road.

Good times, sadly missed.

Archived