What's the plan for civil partnerships once gay marriage is legalised?

What if those people in Civil partnerships are satisfied with that arrangement,not all gay people would have chosen to marry in a church even if it had been legal.Now it is going to be legal they will have a choice,but that doesn't mean every member of the clergy in the church will be obliged to marry them,because like the gay community,the church will be divided on the gay marriage issue with some very much in favour and some not.

Or they could choose to marry, just not in a church

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 10:20 ----------

I thought heterosexual couples could have a civil partnership.My wife and I are going to try one this summer.

As far as I'm aware, no they can't. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it is. You can have a civil ceremony, which is not the same thing.

As I don't think it has been posted here is the proposed bill:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2012-2013/0126/cbill_2012-20130126_en_1.htm

... and its current progress:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/marriagesamesexcouplesbill.html

As per section 9 it would appear that people already in a civil partnership will have the option of converting their status to married. What will happen once, or if, the bill is passed to whether or not civil partnerships will still be an option for couples rather than marriage is not quite clear (from a cursory read anyway).

jb

Or they could choose to marry, just not in a church

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 10:20 ----------

As far as I'm aware, no they can't. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it is. You can have a civil ceremony, which is not the same thing.

Well thats a shame as I will now need to find an alternative summer holiday.Where's that Pontins brochure?

Archived