How to get over a 4 year friendship

Ok I tell you why I am upset about it, this ex friend was going to move to another university and do another course but thanks to my support she didnt. And that same masters I choose for her because we went on a open day and she was looking at doing coporate psychology and I was sat with another friend talking to the hr course leader. My ex friend joined me and said I am not sure about this course and then decided to do it soon as she found out there was good money in! You may think I need to grow up but most of her choice were influenced by me and trust me if u knew her that girl copies its hard to explain as u have never met her!

So you broke off a good friendship and are still bleating about it years later because your mate was a "copy cat"? Are you about 5?

When you were still speaking did you tell her or did you just break off there and then?

You seem to have more initiative in going for the course in the first place, she was hanging on your coat-tails - cut her off

She has already cut her off, however, I suspect she is now regretting this and can't come to terms with it!

Ok I tell you why I am upset about it, this ex friend was going to move to another university and do another course but thanks to my support she didnt. And that same masters I choose for her because we went on a open day and she was looking at doing coporate psychology and I was sat with another friend talking to the hr course leader. My ex friend joined me and said I am not sure about this course and then decided to do it soon as she found out there was good money in! You may think I need to grow up but most of her choice were influenced by me and trust me if u knew her that girl copies its hard to explain as u have never met her!

You don't deserve friends by the sound of it. She can choose whichever courses and careers she wishes. You have no monopoly on that course and a good friend would be happy that they have someone they know and love to share the course with. I think you need to have a serious think about your actions and how much of this is actually your fault. Perhaps that is why you are having trouble dealing with it? Because deep down you know that you could have been more supportive and you have let your friend down.

I'm finding it hard to understand how someone with such an immature outlook could possibly be bright enough to study at Masters level - and I mean you love, not your friend!

I'd feel flattered to be honest if I thought that someone had followed my lead - it is a complement indeed.

There seems to be some undertone of jealousy on your part for some reason. Do you feel she will do it better than you and take opportunities away from you or something?

I'd examine your own self-conscience about why you find this so upsetting. I suspect you are very lacking in self-confidence and, as someone has already said, you probably do need to get some psychological help for your own good.

Archived