Virgin Media Being sold to American Cable Co Liberty: Good or Bad?

Good, this will mean they can start to compete with Sky and hopefully make the market more competitive.

Well by all accounts Liberty do have an axe to grind in regard to Rupert Murdoch and Co....So who knows how that would manifest itself!

I do seem to remember when Branson took over (can't remember the company names)...the other 2 companies to form Virgin media, he had a spat with Sky and Sky withdrew some of their programs from the virgin channels....Lets hope that doesn't repeat itself!

Well by all accounts Liberty do have an axe to grind in regard to Rupert Murdoch and Co....So who knows how that would manifest itself!

I do seem to remember when Branson took over (can't remember the company names)...the other 2 companies to form Virgin media, he had a spat with Sky and Sky withdrew some of their programs from the virgin channels....Lets hope that doesn't repeat itself!

Walwart has done the same with ASDA in the UK. Entered the market and taken a brand and ran with it, competing with the big boys.

I don't think they can have a similar spat now as OFCOM got involved and SKY1 had to be made available on wholesale. That's why Sky Invented Sky Atlantic.

I'm in two minds on this as we are reasonably happy with service that Virgin provide but it is another predominantly UK based company that has fell into the hands of our cousins from accross the Atlantic.

NTL was US headquartered before it merged with Telewest and became Virgin so it's not a particularly new developement. Liberty is about 1/3 the size of News Corp as opposed to Virgin which was about 1/10 the size so should be better placed to compete with Sky.

The Americans always seem to run things properly I think it will be a good thing,better than being took over by some Froggy company but I don't think much will change.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least for the price to go up. Maybe they might have American call centres instead of Indian ones. I hate being talked to someone from a script and completely bamboozled if you happen to stray away from the 'script'

Archived