Virgin Media Being sold to American Cable Co Liberty: Good or Bad?

The Americans always seem to run things properly I think it will be a good thing,better than being took over by some Froggy company but I don't think much will change.

not when it comes to broadband. there is a bit of a fight going on as the top providers are making massive profits while stifling connectivity.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/02/cable-companies-make-97-margin-on.html

NTL was US headquartered before it merged with Telewest and became Virgin so it's not a particularly new developement. Liberty is about 1/3 the size of News Corp as opposed to Virgin which was about 1/10 the size so should be better placed to compete with Sky.

Just seen an article saying that Liberty will move its headquarters form Delaware USA to the UK as 80% of its business will now come from Europe.

We have been with them since it was Yorkshire cable and not a grate deal has changed since then, bills have gone but hasn't everything,I hope they change the call centres to people who speak English as their first language, as long as they don't start saying have a nice day every time you ring them up.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 12:58 ----------

Where my Missus works they were taken over by Yanks, its not in the media business but they actually have done a real good job her wage went up considerably they spent a load on new equipment and are still powering a head with changes and improvements to the place.

I'm in two minds on this as we are reasonably happy with service that Virgin provide but it is another predominantly UK based company that has fell into the hands of our cousins from accross the Atlantic.

Have you ever wondered whether the Brits own or control any companies in the US?

The UK is currently the single largest foreign investor in the United States, with $442 billion invested in the country, representing 17% of the total foreign direct investment in America. The UK has substantially larger investments than its international competitors, with more than one million high-paying jobs created by British businesses throughout the country, spread across each US state.

Archived