Dead man's email

It would be much nicer to get a handwritten letter.

I think a letter left for loved ones is far more personal and meaningful than an email.

I do so agree. A handwritten letter would mean so much more to me.

My mother wrote a letter to me to be delivered after she died. I still have it and I treasure it.

I agree that a handwritten letter would be nicer but I have family and friends all over the world, I couldn't be sure that all letters would be delivered and I can't think of anywhere I could store them until my death, where they could be found, without people finding them before my death.

Start Outlook and compose an email then select Options from the message window, check delay deliver and the date and time drop-down menus will appear. Select a date and time then click send and your message will be moved to the Outbox folder until the send time arrives.

Does Outlook carry out such actions with your computer switched off or would I have to make sure I leave it on (and it remain on until the sending date) before I die?

I agree that a handwritten letter would be nicer but I have family and friends all over the world, I couldn't be sure that all letters would be delivered and I can't think of anywhere I could store them until my death, where they could be found, without people finding them before my death.

Does Outlook carry out such actions with your computer switched off or would I have to make sure I leave it on (and it remain on until the sending date) before I die?

Just keep them with your will in sealed envelopes with the name on. Name someone on the will to ensure they get where they are supposed to go.

My husband was supposed to live until he was 85 according to that death clock, sadly he died 3 years ago aged 51 :( So don't rely on it too much.

I think that if I got an email from him now, it would freak me out terribly. Maybe immediately after his death it would have been ok, in fact if he had been saying nice things it would have been a great comfort - if it had said anything I found hard it would haunt me forever, so be very careful in your choice of words.

Just keep them with your will in sealed envelopes with the name on. Name someone on the will to ensure they get where they are supposed to go.

That's a lot of envelopes to entrust to other people to deliver! How do I know that whoever gets the letters will deliver them? They may not want any contact with some of the others or just be so upset by the whole idea that they just tuck them all away and forget about them.

Also, I'd better make a will.

Archived