2p used to go a long way in the 70s

rupert

Originally posted by rosie

Can anyone remember Spangles the sweets.

I remember buying the wafer bars and penny bubblies after being a primary school in the 70`s.

they brought spangles back out again a few years since, woolworths were selling them for about 40p, i bought some and they still cut your tonge after sucking them to long! don't know if they are still on the market now!

Originally posted by max

I don't see how you can blame anyone else other than shopkeepers for the price rises following metrication especially as the EU didn't exist then

Oooh, that's nasty. Firstly, how can you blame shopkeepers (or any retailer for that matter) for passing on the increase in costs? Inflation was rife in the 70's. Some may have taken advantage of decimalisation (not metrication) but the majority did not.

Secondly, the EU did exist then, it was called the EEC and has existed under various names from the late 50's. It's just that we did not join until Ted Heath took us in during the tory government of 1970-74 (Harold Wilson tried to get us in nearly ten years before). A decision that was ratified by a national referendum.

I think someone should consult a history teacher before hammering away at the keyboard!!

PS. I too remember spangles. So do my rotten teeth!

Originally posted by superCol

Oooh, that's nasty. Firstly, how can you blame shopkeepers (or any retailer for that matter) for passing on the increase in costs? Inflation was rife in the 70's. Some may have taken advantage of decimalisation (not metrication) but the majority did not.

Secondly, the EU did exist then, it was called the EEC and has existed under various names from the late 50's. It's just that we did not join until Ted Heath took us in during the tory government of 1970-74 (Harold Wilson tried to get us in nearly ten years before). A decision that was ratified by a national referendum.

I think someone should consult a history teacher before hammering away at the keyboard!!

PS. I too remember spangles. So do my rotten teeth!

I meant decimalisation, my fault. I know it was called the EEC I just couldn't understand why someone could blame the EU, or EEC, for shopkeepers' avarice. The original poster had blamed the EU for shops putting their prices up when we went decimal.:loopy: :loopy:

PS It's not history to me.:D

I remember Penny Arrow Bars & Black Jacks in the 60's. Black Jacks were four for a penny which meant that as there were no farthings, it meant you couldnt buy one on its own.

What about those Flying Saucer things, you used to put them on your tongue and wait until they dissolved, and those twig things that tasted like licorice, any one remember them?

And going to the offy with a load of pop bottles fro the money back and coming home with a pocketfull of "spice"

Apologies for any errors in grammar and spelling. Just in case MAX is around

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Ginger!!

I remember the videmat machines on buses whereby you chucked in a hand full of coins and the machine printed images of them onto the ticket.I used to throw in foreign coins and washers hoping the inspector did nt get on!!

Thanks for that memory jogger Ginger, I had forgotten all about that. Don't thin they were around for that long tho were they?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by rosie

Can anyone remember Spangles the sweets.

oooooohhh yes!!

But just what flavour were those weird dark blue/green ones?

no-ne ever ate them as they tasted bloody awfull!!!

Archived