2p used to go a long way in the 70s

rupert

I recently read somewhere that when decimalisation came in goods cost twice as much or more. I'll have to try and find it out again so I can quote word for word and give the source of info.

I was working in London during February '71, the month that everybody had been dreading because of the change to decimalisation.

The nation had been treated to nightly 5 minute-or-so TV broadcasts for months prior to the change, with lessons on how and why '6d' was going to be 2.5p, a quid was going to be 100p instead of 240d, and so on...

There were some great stories around too : shopkeepers who were going to refuse to accept the new currency was one story I recall, and there was also concern as to how folk were supposed to use the 'old' half-crown (2/6, or 12.5p to you!)

Bear in mind that all the old coins didn't just disappear overnight - you'd still have 'old shillings' and other silver coins mixed up with the new-fangled decimal jobs!

On the actual day of change (sorry!) I remember getting off the tube at Gloucester Road station, and struggling up to ground level, where there was a news kiosk....usually busy, but this evening there was a 10 yard queue!

When I finally made the front, I asked for my pack of 20 'No.6' cigs (which had previously cost 4/- [that's four shillings to those that don't know!), expecting to have to pay the equivalent, i.e. 20p...

Confusion reigned!

The seller insisted that it was 40p and not 20p, and hence a lengthy discussion started!

We'll never know how many 'fell for it' and paid double for everything they bought, or whether it was a genuine misunderstanding on behalf of the shopkeeper!

I only once was in possesion of a big white £5 note ( they ceased to be legal tender in 1957) people used to write their names and address on them. The reason for doing this, I think was because they were easily forged. The Germans forged large quantities of them to destabalise Britain's economy.

On the actual day of change (sorry!) I remember getting off the tube at Gloucester Road station, and struggling up to ground level, where there was a news kiosk....usually busy, but this evening there was a 10 yard queue!

When I finally made the front, I asked for my pack of 20 'No.6' cigs (which had previously cost 4/- [that's four shillings to those that don't know!), expecting to have to pay the equivalent, i.e. 20p...

Confusion reigned!

The seller insisted that it was 40p and not 20p, and hence a lengthy discussion started!

We'll never know how many 'fell for it' and paid double for everything they bought, or whether it was a genuine misunderstanding on behalf of the shopkeeper!

i was working in a post office when the decimal first came in and i was on the side that sold cigerettes sweets cards and some household things and toys.

the main cigerettes prices i remember were park drive plain 5 for 5 1/2p and tipped 5 for 5p sovereign were 10 for 9p and no 9s were 10 for 9 1/2p. i remember that a lot of chocolates went up in price especially if they were 3d which made them 1p in new money and they all seem to change prices.

i used to feel sorry for the pensioners mainly, many time they just used to hand you some money and say take it out of that love. i am sure some people probably took more as it was so easy to. i never did. i used to many time try to tell them what each coin was.

i was working in a post office when the decimal first came in and i was on the side that sold cigerettes sweets cards and some household things and toys.

the main cigerettes prices i remember were park drive plain 5 for 5 1/2p and tipped 5 for 5p sovereign were 10 for 9p and no 9s were 10 for 9 1/2p. i remember that a lot of chocolates went up in price especially if they were 3d which made them 1p in new money and they all seem to change prices.

i used to feel sorry for the pensioners mainly, many time they just used to hand you some money and say take it out of that love. i am sure some people probably took more as it was so easy to. i never did. i used to many time try to tell them what each coin was.

Just shows you!

At the time, my mum and dad used to smoke "posher" cigs than No.6 - (seem to recall even smaller ones available then as well - No.10's?) - which had been 4/10d for ages...

Can't remember whether it was due to a forthcoming budget or decimalisation, but I remember my old man saying that he was going to definitely stop smoking "if they ever reach 5 bob"!

He never did, of course....

• 2 years later...
It's amazing how everything goes up in price over the years, I left school in 1958, my first wage as a shop assistant was £2 16 shillings, terrible ain't it.

i left school in 1974 aged 16 and my first wage as an apprentice welder at william greens of ecclesfield was £14.94 pence.i used to give my mum £5 and the rest was all mine!! and it seemed like a fortune.

Archived