Closure of Saga Zone forum

It's a forum for adults, senior citizens in fact that have lived through all sorts. It shouldn't need policing at all, if people can't go on a forum without crying onto their keyboard because they're offended, they shouldn't go on there. Go play Wii bowling instead.

It's for the over-50s.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 22:54 ----------

It's not that people were offended it's the fact that if any one dissented from their views they were criticised and hounded.

Sounds strangely familiar.

It's a forum for adults, senior citizens in fact that have lived through all sorts. It shouldn't need policing at all

If the mods left Sheffield Forum I'd give it about a month before the place became unusable.

Decent posters would leave as the rabble took over.

The number of threads about Muslims would go through the roof.

By your crazed logic, the police should only deal with juvenile crime as adults, who "have lived through all sorts", shouldn't need policing at all.

If the mods left Sheffield Forum I'd give it about a month before the place became unusable.<snip>

[climbs up from under the desk having fallen off my chair]

Someone sticking up for SF moderation!...It's nice to see that some people do realise the reality of it all. We try our best!

If the mods left Sheffield Forum I'd give it about a month before the place became unusable.

Decent posters would leave as the rabble took over.

The number of threads about Muslims would go through the roof.

By your crazed logic, the police should only deal with juvenile crime as adults, who "have lived through all sorts", shouldn't need policing at all.

My point is adults should be able to handle being offended, it happens every day in real offline life and life goes on, we don't shut ourselves in a sealed room to avoid it. Why do people expect online to be any different?

The police are there to fight crime. Offending people isn't usually a crime unless it's racially derogatry. Being offended isn't a crime either. So your crazy logic doesn't equate.

Because it was the people with the right wing views who were being offensive. Unless you don't consider advocating violence, homophobia and racism to be offensive, of course.

They are views on violence, homophobia and racism. I don't consider those to be right wing views, why would you?

Isn't it time that people stopped using lazy labels?

As for Saga's forum, well it just goes to show that folk miss it if it isn't there - both the forum and moderation. It is a real shame that they have decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater instead of sorting it out.

"'The majority are a good group of people but a minority caused concern with offensive and potentially illegal racist or homophobic comments. We even discovered what I believe are called trolls with multiple online personalities, because messages were coming from the same computer – sometimes with names from both sexes."

That would never happen on here.

Sounds like the Daily Mail comments section, only its not a minority of posters who are racist and homophobic.

Robust discussion is one thing, but trying not to say things that would win you a smack on the nose in the pub is a reasonable standard to expect to comply to.

That's the difference between anonymous online behavior and person to person discussion. It's easy to be offensive when you're anonymous and hide behind a persona and keyboard

Let's face it, some people only bother with forums to try and push their own political or personal agendas, or troll with the intention of muting opposing opinions, it's nothing to do with education or enlightenment, or trying to help fellow man, those people offer nothing and rightly should be banned, especially if the moderators can't keep on top of the trolls

My point is adults should be able to handle being offended

But so what? Saying that is like a Miss World contestant wishing for World Peace.

People obviously can't handle being offended, so a community needs measures in place to make life pleasant for the masses. That applies online or in real life. Robust discussion is one thing, but trying not to say things that would win you a smack on the nose in the pub is a reasonable standard to expect to comply to.

But so what? Saying that is like a Miss World contestant wishing for World Peace.

People obviously can't handle being offended, so a community needs measures in place to make life pleasant for the masses. That applies online or in real life. Robust discussion is one thing, but trying not to say things that would win you a smack on the nose in the pub is a reasonable standard to expect to comply to.

Whether you'd get a smack in the mouth in a pub is a fairly low standard to go for isn't it? Is that what you expect of us all on here, are we all pub brawlers?

Archived