NHS: "No one is safe"

Is the NHS fit for purpose?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is the NHS fit for purpose?

• Yes
    • No

Robert Francis, QC, the chap heading the public enquiry into the horrible Mid Staffordshire Hospital Trust candal has no confidence in the NHS. He says:

• “an insidious negative culture involving a tolerance of poor standards”
  • “not an event of such rarity or improbability that it would be safe to assume that it will not be repeated”.
  • “The current situation is that we’ve seen the system fail to detect Stafford for years and I’ve said and I’ll say again that we can have no confidence that, therefore, there isn’t another one.
  • “We have failure at every single level of the NHS system, from local scrutiny groups up to the Department of Health.”

It's a far cry from 2007 when Gordon Brown said that the NHS will cure AIDS, eliminate MRSA, cure breast cancer and colon cancer.

BUT! It's 21 years since the Bristol heart scandal when 35 babies died. It's 45 years since an investigation called Sans Everything concluded that the NHS hierarchy denied problems and dismissed complaints as unfounded, even when supported by strong evidence.

Is the NHS fit for purpose?

Links Times leader Philip Hammond column

Has he no confidence in the NHS? The report was into Stafford hospital, not the NHS as a whole. He reported on failings there, some of which weren't detected by national bodies but that's not to say he has condemned the NHS as a whole.

The NHS has a lot wrong with it and there are further investigations planned for hospitals in Essex and Lancashire. But the whole NHS isn't damned.

Only the first bullet point refers to Stafford. The other three are his comments on the NHS as a whole.

Could you provide a link to back that up, in particular where those bulletin points come from. I get the impression you've pieced them together from selective quotes and they distort what was actually said in the report. As far as point four is concerned I can only find a reference in the Mail as follows;

'Regrettably, there was a failure of the NHS system at every level to detect and take the action patients and the public were entitled to expect.

'The patient voice was not heard or listened to, either by the trust board or by local organisations, which were meant to represent their interests.'

He was talking there about Stafford and how no one locally or nationally spotted what was going on. But that doesn't mean the whole NHS is affected.

I find it disturbing that no persons appear to be held responsible for the mal management.

These persons could be government staff who advocated policies or hospital staff for applying bad management, supervision or application to their duties.

It's a curious thing isn't it. Loads of layers of management and nobody to take responsibility.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 09:10 ----------

LeMaquis, I'm very careful to avoid misrepresentation and always provide my source. Please read the OP again. Thanks.

Your poll needs more options. Clearly not all of the NHS is bad. Millions of people are treated every week.

The head of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) wrote glowing letters praising the quality of patient care and standard of management at Stafford Hospital following a visit in May 2008, the Mid Staffordshire Public Inquiry heard.

https://www.nhslocal.nhs.uk/story/quality-nursing-stafford-hospital-was-exceptionally-high-union-chief-said-after-visit

I have read somewhere that a few nurses and doctors are being investigated by their respective professional bodies in the wake of this scandal.

Very good, but clearly as usual, the foot soldiers will carry the can and the appalling management are home free with no repercussions.

There are a number of other NHS trusts now under intense investigation for similar failings (though not apparently involving deaths on the Staffs scale)

Archived