When will we find life on another planet?

Life  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Life

• We're all alone
    • It's out there

If we do discover life I hope its a proper space alien and not just some crappy bacteria. That would be a real anti-climax and I dont think I'd lose a winks sleep over it :mad:

It would be an anti-climax if they brought it back to earth and it caused a global epidemic that couldn't be stopped.

If they are that close and have intelligent life then it's strange that we havn't notices any sort of radio waves issuing from them..they may be a way behind us in technology though although you'd think if they were older then the earth then life would be more advanced there..who knows.. ?

Perhaps they may be so advanced that they don't communicate via radio or produce any man/alien made radio waves, and even if they did at that distance it would be almost impossible to trace them. We can just about pick up the signals from voyager and that is only only just passing the boundary of our solar system.

There is also a possibility that we are the first intelligent life to form despite many candidates.

I don't see that we as 'earth dwellers' could be so arrogant as to think that we're the only ones! Surely statistics would state that the probability of their being intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos is pretty much a certainty.

However, we might never find out or know about it, cos of the vast distances involved.

That is exactly what I was going to post but you have said it already. The distances are so great it'l never happen.

I personally can't wait - hope it's in my life time. Although I very much doubt any Government will readily make this information available.

Although I'm hopeful they would let us all know we're just a very small fish in a very very VERY large pond.

I think its been known for some time that life exists. Barely a week goes by without some new astronomical discovery, either in our solar system or an earth-like planet found within a few dozen light years.

I think we're being slowly conditioned for the news.

http://tinyurl.com/be4v6nz

Does that mean they will look like us or they won't?

it means they believe they will look something like us - but i don't think that is what they mean

for my own twopennorth i think it unlikely that we are the only life form in the universe

considering how long the universe has existed, and how many stars and planets there are out there, i would be surprised if this is the only planet on which life has evolved

i'd be equally surprised if it has evolved in any way similar to ours considering how many random events have occurred on our planet over the years for us to get where we are now

The Mars missions are hotting up, expeditions are planned to meteors, asteroids and comets, and scientists expect to find a planet just like Earth this year.

Are you ready to find out that we're not the only planet with life?

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 17:15 ----------

It would be an anti-climax if they brought it back to earth and it caused a global epidemic that couldn't be stopped.

Surely you mean a climax.

I've done the famous 'Drake Equation' a few times, in fact I wrote about it in my last Astrophysics exam. One day I got 20,000 intelligent civilisations in the galaxy, the next day I calculated it at one - us.

The question is reliant on so many variables that I honestly believe we will never encounter another 'intelligent' life form in the cosmos. Intelligent being in '' as I am a big fan of Cats.

The other problem is that we search in the so called 'goldilocks' zone. If you look at the physics of it then Earth shouldn't even have liquid water so this blows the porridge argument apart.

I think our best bet for finding life is around a gas giants moons. In our own system, Enceladus or Europa would be my shouts.

I've done the famous 'Drake Equation' a few times, in fact I wrote about it in my last Astrophysics exam. One day I got 20,000 intelligent civilisations in the galaxy, the next day I calculated it at one - us.

The question is reliant on so many variables that I honestly believe we will never encounter another 'intelligent' life form in the cosmos. Intelligent being in '' as I am a big fan of Cats.

The other problem is that we search in the so called 'goldilocks' zone. If you look at the physics of it then Earth shouldn't even have liquid water so this blows the porridge argument apart.

I think our best bet for finding life is around a gas giants moons. In our own system, Enceladus or Europa would be my shouts.

Isn't the earth at just the right temperature for water to exist in liquid form?

Isn't the earth at just the right temperature for water to exist in liquid form?

Sorry, that is me not typing correctly so I do apologise.

I should have said that Earth shouldn't have anywhere near the amount of water that it does. Because water is classed as an 'ice' or volatile then it should have been removed from the inner solar system before Earth formed.

This is still a bit of a mystery to scientists.

Archived