When will we find life on another planet?

Life  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Life

• We're all alone
    • It's out there

personally i believe it is almost certain that life exists on other planets. on this planet life exists under the most amazing circumstances. there is a worm type creature which exists in the ocean depths with it's head in the heat of undersea volcanic flumes & its rear end in the freezing deep ocean.

as to intelligent life, well there i'm not so sure. i'm yet to be convinced that intelligent life exists on this planet.

four or five thousand years ago we humans were such a savage, barbaric species that we used to settle disputes between tribes & factions by killing each other.

now, thousands of years later, & having the benefit of the many world religions, each claiming brotherly love as their main ethos we settle disputes between factions by....killing each other, a lot more efficiently.

albert einstein stated that ' the only two things which are infinite are the universe & the human capacity for stupidity, & i'm not sure about the universe'.

it is to be hoped that if there is life out there, & it visits us, it is more intelligent, more civilized & more humane than we are.

One thing that puzzles me about space travel is if you were traveling at the speed of light and you put your head lights on would they still work,I mean its quite dark up there and you would need to see where you were going or you might crash into something.

I agree with you mjw47- though I suspect that any gentle intelligent life form will avoid us like the plague so to speak. we are a particularl ynasty, violent, stupid species and we'd only want to expand our population into their planet and take their things.

of course if they were like or even nastier than us-we may get our come uppance

Surely you mean a climax.

No I made my common mistake and missed the n't off wouldn't. Sorry :)

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 22:19 ----------

Isn't the earth at just the right temperature for water to exist in liquid form?

No it’s just at the right temperature for it to exist in all three forms, which is crucial to our survival.

parvo, yes i think we may be saved by the distances involved. it always puzzled me when people say 'well if there are aliens, where are they?'. i usually reply 'sat on their planet wondering where we are, the distance is the same both ways.'

unfortunately, i agree with you, we are not a likeable species.

the strange thing is that individual people you know are in fact 'the salt of the earth.'

it is only when we form a group & become political about things that the nastiness creeps in.

Lord Acton was right when he said 'power tends to corrupt & absolute power corrupts absolutely.'

it seems to me that where ever you go in the world the type of person that is attracted to politics/power is almost always a complete self entitled greedy ******* with an obsession with power & little regard for their country. there are of course a few honourable exceptions to that but nowhere near enough to make a significant difference.

It's easy to be sarcastic and derisive, and I'm the last person to be a conspiracy theorist, but look at the hooplah caused by the 'listening for aliens' live on TV recently. I cannot imagine that unless it was revealed by some kind of amateur / non-Governmental body that they'd give away that information voluntarily.

However, we might never find out or know about it, cos of the vast distances involved.

We could also be separated by time.

A race on another planet might emerge to a technological state (enough to receive our radio/TV transmissions) in, say, 100,000 years. At that point, the human race might have been wiped out by a super volcano, a meteor strike, a plague or good old fashioned nuclear war.

Now while 100,000 might seem like a long time to us, it's the merest blink of an eye on the cosmic scale.

Archived