The nanny state again

They were talking about this on the radio this morning on my daily commute. They compared the UK to Germany. There children have two dialects, one which is standard German, used in education and business and the other is their local dialect. German children "code switch" between the two when at school or at home/play ground. They are capable of doing it and have no trouble with it. They also do not see it as a way of destroying local dialects as this has not happened.

That's a good point, but they do have regional accents when speaking standard German.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 16:39 ----------

Last nights news reported that kids in Middlesborough are being taught to speak properly, like what we does down south.

A citizen of said town was asked to pronounce ..butter, the poor soul pronounced it booter .

The foot-strut split, as linguists call it, was an innovation in southern English, not a loss of a vowel in northern English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_high_back_vowels#Foot.E2.80.93strut_split

People who pronounce "buck" and "book" the same are (if anything) more historically authentic.

It is the school head who has brought in the excellent policy.

Whats "Excellent" about this codswallop ?

Why try and take away regional identity from kids growing up . ? Id rather kids spoke with a strong regional accent than sound like some Eton educated Toff .

There's nothing wrong with a regional accent, you can still speak properly and eloquently using one. There's nothing wrong with regional dialect either. It's all part of a rich linguistic heritage.

Most people will have a range of language styles - the language you use in the pub with your mates, the language you use with your elderly relatives, the language you use in a job interview, or when giving a professional presentation.

Most people know when to use the appropriate style, and switch subconsciously between them, whilst retaining their natural regional accent.

It's when people don't recognise that certain styles are inappropriate to certain situations that they come unstuck.

That's a good point, but they do have regional accents when speaking standard German.

People who pronounce "buck" and "book" the same are (if anything) more historically authentic.

There was an advert on TV a few years back, I think it was a blonde-haired woman whose face was always on the photo passport booth, she always pronounced could as cud

There's nothing wrong with a regional accent, you can still speak properly and eloquently using one. There's nothing wrong with regional dialect either. It's all part of a rich linguistic heritage.

Most people will have a range of language styles - the language you use in the pub with your mates, the language you use with your elderly relatives, the language you use in a job interview, or when giving a professional presentation.

Most people know when to use the appropriate style, and switch subconsciously between them, whilst retaining their natural regional accent.

It's when people don't recognise that certain styles are inappropriate to certain situations that they come unstuck.

Very well said Olive.

Very well said Olive.

Cheers!

I was talking to a friend last night who's an army recruitment officer. Someone had come into the office to see about joining up, and was busy addressing my mate as "Bruv". I don't think he made a very good impression! They're not expecting masterminds to come through the door exactly, but honestly.....

Last nights news reported that kids in Middlesborough are being taught to speak properly, like what we does down south.

A citizen of said town was asked to pronounce ..butter, the poor soul pronounced it booter .

It seems they all spell as they speak...fink not think .

The idea is to do away with dialect.

I thought the whole thing was condescending rubbish.

They were being taught to separate dialect from formal English which is preferred by employers,tha nose.

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 18:38 ----------

Whats "Excellent" about this codswallop ?

Why try and take away regional identity from kids growing up . ? Id rather kids spoke with a strong regional accent than sound like some Eton educated Toff .

It really depends on where the kids live-on the banks of the Thames an Eton accent is the norm.

Speaking with an accent doesn't equate to a lack of education.

The number of highly educated northerners I've known who still pronounce "one" as 'wan' amongst other words, in spite of having lived down south for most of their adult lives.

I never mentioned the Govt in my post......a headteacher is part of the state (state education)?.

When I said condescending rubbish I was referring to the attitude of the interviewer who was trying to make the interviewee look thick!

Archived