Students past, present or future

Originally posted by steelblade

Rich what type of work? Do they need anyone now?

I'm prepared to start from the very bottom!:D

It's working as a support worker for disabled young adults, primarily young adults with autism, the work is good and gets you out and about, you do have to be flexible though as the hours can chop and change a bit.

One thing though, if you apply you will have to go through police checks, and training about autism, and then an induction, also do you drive? That helps in this particular job as you would be sent to work with clients all over the city, although their office is based on the Manor.

Hope I've given you enough info, I would like to point out that I myself am a client, not a member of staff, as I suffer from aspergers syndrome, a mild form of autism.

Give Phil a ring like I say and have a chat, it's up to you whether you decide if it's for you or not.

Unfortunately youll not get in for september 2004 now as youd have to apply by UCAS (look at http://www.UCAS.ac.uk i think it tells you on there how to apply i think you just send off for the form and pay a bit of money) and as far as i know the deadline is either up or coming up very soon and since it takes a while to fill in and get references i doubt youd do it in time.

Youd have to wait til 2005 but this would give you plenty of time to get voluntary work which looks good at interview.

I work alongside social worker students at hallam and there are LOADS of mature students in fact the ones straight from school seem to be in the minority if anything.

I dont know about social work but on my course the mature students get plenty of financial support too (annoying really as i dont get any but thats another story)

Good luck i hope you get in!

Kitty Kat I think you are correct. It is a popular course.

Anyway I popped into Hallam and spoke to someone in registrations. He took my details ie. how many qualifications I have and he is going to call me to let me know if they will accept me with what I already have or I may have to do an access course.

I feel really positive. :)

So I've been thinking I'm 23 nearly 24 if I don't do something drastic soon I'm going to end up doing boring office work for the rest of my days.

Not all office work is boring.

I had the time of my life in an office. The workmates were all fantastic.

Kitty Kat I think you are correct. It is a popular course.

Anyway I popped into Hallam and spoke to someone in registrations. He took my details ie. how many qualifications I have and he is going to call me to let me know if they will accept me with what I already have or I may have to do an access course.

I feel really positive. :)

ooh sounds good! even if you have to do the access course the people in my class say theirs was good and they got to meet each other so knew each other when they went on to do the degree instead of just walking into a room full of strangers on the 1st day like i did. good luck!

Archived