Cyclists - Using Cleats For The 1st Time

I understand what they do as they were invented initially for racing, especially while standing up and pedalling.

What I question is why a road bike on a road needs them?

They don't need them. I've ridden a bike for years without cleats or toe clips.

If a rider wants maximum efficiency/speed, then cleats are obviously very useful.

But I'm not at all fussed about maximum efficiency- I ride to get from A to B, for fun, fitness etc, and, I don't want my feet attached to the pedals.

I had more problems with toe-clips than cleats in the past. The idea of the toe-clips is that you strap yourself in tight and then to get out you have to lean forward and release the spring. At least, that's what they were like on my old racing bike. It was a piece of cake when you got used to it, but I've fallen off many times at first, usually when there are loads of people around.:blush:

To the OP I would say, just make sure your cleats are properly adjusted in two ways.

First, you need to make sure they are at 90 degrees to the pedal so that your foot is pushing straight ahead, rather than to the left or the right. The way I do this is to fit the shoe, without my foot in it, to the pedal and get it bang straight. Once you've done that you'll know that you have the correct position for your foot on the pedal and apart from maximising the power you'll not be putting your knee at a funny angle. Badly positioned cleats will put wear and tear on your knee joints - so it's worth taking the trouble to get them set up right in the first place.

The other thing is that you can adjust the tension of the cleat so that it releases more easily. If you have it too loose then it defeats the object, because your shoe will keep popping out of the cleat. But if it's too tight then you may have difficulty getting your foot out quickly - and I wonder if that's why you are having problems at the moment?

Try and get into the habit of swinging your heel outwards when you come to a stop. If your cleats are properly adjusted you should just click out of them easily.

Fallen over three times this month on the new road bike. Somewhat embarrassing and more than a little dangerous.

I'd suggest taking them off then- bikes are fine without cleats, all it means is you won't be getting maximum efficiency; not a problem as, even without cleats, bikes are the most efficient form of transport known to man.

Like you say, falling off a bike on the road is dangerous: the roads are dangerous enough for bikers as it is- why make it worse for yourself?

I had more problems with toe-clips than cleats in the past. The idea of the toe-clips is that you strap yourself in tight and then to get out you have to lean forward and release the spring. At least, that's what they were like on my old racing bike.

Mine aren't tight (I'm not racing). :)

It was a piece of cake when you got used to it, but I've fallen off many times at first, usually when there are loads of people around.:blush:

That's always the way!

Archived