Working in an academy primary school.

Hi, I'm considering applying for a job in a primary school which is due to become an academy. If I believe union literature, this could be a very risky thing to do. Does anyone have any experience or viewpoint about how its working for them or someone they know closely.

I don't want to miss a great opportunity but it I want to know about the consequences.

Thanks.

Which Union claimed it would be risky? Given the widespread use of the internet where organisations like trade unions can upload their documents, perhaps you could could provide a link so that I can see in what context they may consider it risky.

Staff who are already employed by the school will have terms & conditions protected when the school turns into an academy (whereas new staff joining will be employed on new conditions). The risks the Union will be referring to is that staff may come under pressure overtime to sign up to new terms and conditions (e.g. working weekends, reduced pay etc).

See http://archive.unitetheunion.org/pdf/doc4AcademyFrequentlyaskedquestionsStaffFINAL.pdf

Hi, I'm considering applying for a job in a primary school which is due to become an academy. If I believe union literature, this could be a very risky thing to do. Does anyone have any experience or viewpoint about how its working for them or someone they know closely.

I don't want to miss a great opportunity but it I want to know about the consequences.

Thanks.

Academies are free to negotiate pay etc without reference to national agreements,and you will be in a weak bargaining position.Academies set school against school,teacher versus teacher and is unhealthily competitive.It was launched by Blair and extended by Gove,both believing this is the future.Do I really need to say more?

So schools can set their own pay scales depending on success and quality of teachers and there will also be competition which should ensure improvement in standards all round.

What could possibly be wrong with any of that ??

Nothing at all for people who live overseas.

So schools can set their own pay scales depending on success and quality of teachers and there will also be competition which should ensure improvement in standards all round.

What could possibly be wrong with any of that ??

Except that if you believe what a lot of people write on here, competition has led to lowering of standards and has a deliterious effect of children's life chances. The theory looks fine on paper, in practice it has the opposite effect.

Archived