Where all the money is going..

Labour MP Karen Buck says 'It's a scandal that these people are losing their homes due to their housing benefits being cut', and 'Westminster was cheer-leading for these cuts!, and now all this public money is being poured into these hotel costs.'

-

The bigger question for me here: is why, when there are ample intelligent women in society, do Labour seem to find so many illogical, emotion-stirring thickos to represent them as MPs?

The situation is what it is. Do you turf them out in the street ? Workhouse ? Kids into care ? Relocate them somewhere cheaper maybe, but the government will find a way for that to be costly too.

That would be my suggestion for this case. Their rent [the case on the film] was £700/wk. I could find a house for them for less than that, per month.

That would be my suggestion for this case. Their rent [the case on the film] was £700/wk. I could find a house for them for less than that, per month.

It doesn't just have to be less than that it has to be less than £25k/pa less their dole money. In central London.

They've been made homeless because of the government's £25k per year per household benefit cap, so they can't have a house, so the council has to pay probably 3x the cost to keep them in a hotel as they have a duty to find accommodation for the homeless.

It's madness, but the £25k per household benefit cap seemed popular.

Perhaps Westminster Council might like to think about buying some land in a somewhat cheaper area, building council housing on it, putting their homeless people into that housing and then handing the housing over - as a free gift - to the council where the cheaper land is located.

Is land any cheaper in South Yorkshire?

Do you think Sheffield council would like a few hundred new council houses? (With tenants, of course.)

I remember some idiot a while back saying the unemployed should all move to London and find work. What, so if three million unemployed all moved to London, they'd all be housed and there would be no unemployed? What a wally!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21362391

Homeless families huge hotel rent bills 12k p/month! Firstly, why have so many kids if you can't afford to keep them? and what on earth are westminster council thinking?? this is a scandalous misuse of public money.

Westminster ought to get sorted out and provide some social housing.I expect that when people have children they are not thinking

"Will my circumstances change in the next decade?"

---------- Post added 08-02-2013 at 07:32 ----------

Only politicians could devise a system where they are legally obliged to re home the homeless, with no homes to re home them in. You couldn't make it up.

And a Tory council moved out council,tenants and sold cheap council flats to a load of yuppies.This council was Westminster headed by Dame Shirley Porter who still owes millions for fraudulent disposal of assets.

Belle have you any better ideas?

Archived