Where all the money is going..

It doesn't just have to be less than that it has to be less than £25k/pa less their dole money. In central London.

They've been made homeless because of the government's £25k per year per household benefit cap, so they can't have a house, so the council has to pay probably 3x the cost to keep them in a hotel as they have a duty to find accommodation for the homeless.

It's madness, but the £25k per household benefit cap seemed popular.

Yes, that was the explanation given on the BBC news when this story broke.

Every time the Tories are in homelessness increases, as does the numbers of people housed in expensive B&B accomodation.

It happened in the 90s and it is happening again. If people want to moan about the use of the money in this way they need to understand it's Tory policies that tend to cause it to happen.

As I've said for the last 3 years if you hack and slash at budgets in a way that is not joined-up across departments then ultimately the cuts can end up costing more than they save.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21362391

Homeless families huge hotel rent bills 12k p/month! Firstly, why have so many kids if you can't afford to keep them? and what on earth are westminster council thinking?? this is a scandalous misuse of public money.

Having worked in immigration, I've been saying this for years and it just doesn't seem to have ever been exposed to the public.

I mostly just keep my mouth shut about it nowadays...

There were homeless in the every one of the penthouse suites at a Hilton I was staying for eight whole months - a shameless expenditure of cash.

It's not a bad life when you and your family can live rent free at a Hilton...

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 13:19 ----------

It happened in the 90s and it is happening again. If people want to moan about the use of the money in this way they need to understand it's Tory policies that tend to cause it to happen.

This just isn't true. This has been happening for decades and has been going on all through Labor's time in power.

Every time the Tories are in homelessness increases, as does the numbers of people housed in expensive B&B accomodation.

As I've said for the last 3 years if you hack and slash at budgets in a way that is not joined-up across departments then ultimately the cuts can end up costing more than they save.

According to this, homelessness peaked during labours term in office at 135,590 in 2003.

We now also have the lowest level of home ownership since 1987 because of their housing bubble.

This just isn't true. This has been happening for decades and has been going on all through Labor's time in power.

It increased in the 90s. It decreased during Labour's time in power. It is increasing again.

It is true.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/sep/17/homeless-families-bed-and-breakfast

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 13:29 ----------

And in 2008 what was the situation? Look at the first graph in the link.

And in 2008 what was the situation? Look at the first graph in the link.

That doesn't alter the fact that it peaked during labours term in office, high property prices are also the likley cause for homelessness now which is something else we can blame Labour for.

That doesn't alter the fact that it peaked during labours term in office, high property prices are also the likley cause for homelessness now which is something else we can blame Labour for.

I won't deny there was a peak but there was also a very determined policy effort to bring homelessness down and use of B&Bs down. It was reasonably successful too. It's being undone.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 13:46 ----------

Yeah. I'll agree with that. But it was still rife during Labor's tenancy (which was my real point).

I'm not for one minute suggesting there was no homelessness of use of B&Bs because obviously there was.

I won't deny there was a peak but there was also a very determined policy effort to bring homelessness down and use of B&Bs down. It was reasonably successful too. It's being undone.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 13:46 ----------

I'm not for one minute suggesting there was no homelessness of use of B&Bs because obviously there was.

The way to get rid of homelessness is to get more people into work and make housing affordable, throwing free money at people just encourages dependency.

Archived